Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, there are sure some generous people in the world

Hybrid View

Boy, there are sure some generous people in the world

Here we go, folks! My first arrival of 2015.

The same friend who gave me the Longines gifted this watch to me (more on that here). It's a Chronographe Suisse from the 1940s with an 18-karat gold case. My guess is that it has a Venus or Landeron movement under the hood.

It's a project, for sure, but I really like the fact that it's unpolished, untouched, and has nice patina all around. He thinks he's had it for 20 years--time to get it up and going!

It's huge for the time period. 37-38mm!

Thanks for looking!

That's beautiful. I love the numerals

Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    Here we go, folks! My first arrival of 2015.

The same friend who gave me the Longines gifted this watch to me (more on that here). It's a Chronographe Suisse from the 1940s with an 18-karat gold case. My guess is that it has a Venus or Landeron movement under the hood.

It's a project, for sure, but I really like the fact that it's unpolished, untouched, and has nice patina all around. He thinks he's had it for 20 years--time to get it up and going!

It's huge for the time period. 37-38mm!

Thanks for looking!
    one word gorgeous
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes CFR liked this post
    Wow, very nice! Yeah, the good guys are still out there.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

i think the watch (a wild guess, need to see the guts of the watch ofcourse) is a wee bit too small for the Landeron movement , here is mine, it's 40 or 41mm and the case is completely filled :
    Name:  SAM_2662_zps019ceef8.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  49.1 KB

very nice watch you have there by the way

7. Likes CFR, MHe225, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    i think the watch (a wild guess, need to see the guts of the watch ofcourse) is a wee bit too small for the Landeron movement , here is mine, it's 40 or 41mm and the case is completely filled :

very nice watch you have there by the way
    Thanks for the insight! I'll have to wait until I send it to my watchmaker to know what's under the hood, unfortunately...

9. Likes I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life
    The same friend who gave me the Longines gifted this watch to me (more on that here). It's a Chronographe Suisse from the 1940s with an 18-karat gold case. My guess is that it has a Venus or Landeron movement under the hood. It's huge for the time period. 37-38mm!
    I will rephrase my comment / question: any chance your friend will adopt me?

Very, very generous indeed and a beautiful piece it is Venus or Landeron .... can't wait for you to open the case, take a peek and share a movement shot.
    This will be a worthy project - please document it well with many before, during and after pics.
    Last edited by MHe225; Jan 18, 2015 at 05:43 PM.
    IWL member 90

11. Likes Imitation of Life liked this post
    Aesthetically, it seems in pretty good shape. The dial has a nice and even patina. The crown's missing(?!) but that's not a big deal.

Great way to start 2015.

Congrats!

Edit: very curious about the movement...

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Gorgeous. I LOVE the older chronos with tachy and tele tracks!! Is that dimples or rivets on the dial, they look like dimples. If they are dimples, any idea why they are there?
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Aesthetically, it seems in pretty good shape. The dial has a nice and even patina. The crown's missing(?!) but that's not a big deal.

Great way to start 2015.

Congrats!

Edit: very curious about the movement...
    Yes, the crown is missing. My only concern is that I won't be able to find a crown that matches the patina on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Gorgeous. I LOVE the older chronos with tachy and tele tracks!! Is that dimples or rivets on the dial, they look like dimples. If they are dimples, any idea why they are there?
    Those are indeed dimples. Definitely a nice detail. Just a nice aesthetic touch, I guess!

16. Likes ilitig8, CFR liked this post