Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Is the term men's watch or ladies watch - An outdated concept ****

**** Is the term men's watch or ladies watch - An outdated concept ****

Well it's been meationed in pasting a few times but well I had bought an old joblot of Casio baby G'shocks so I believe design for women / children but I will probably keep and wear one of them maybe, but the baby g part if honest is a bit of a turn off, maybe if called mini G would have not been an issue.

You have Seiko monster and you also have the five series that some call the mini monster so yes the term baby just seem childish even for say a teen or lady to wear ? ? , but getting off the point so yes an outdated concept as I see women wearing men's G shocks for instance ,pans for another not that I care that they do nor does anyone else . BUT now if a man was to wear a smaller watch it would be deemed a ladies watch straight away ok a lot of the times it's guys that are saying it but not always.

( men's trench watch from the 1920's 25mm )

so does it matter any more ? I mean some of my vintage MEN'S are like 25mm to 35mm so to nowadays sizes classed as a women's watch to most.... so what say you ? do we need a new term or does it really matter ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

A great post. Looking at dress watches there are quite a few I would consider, but they are labeled as women's watches (often with unnecessary diamonds; looking at you VC). Here is a great example of a woman's watch:

However I have seen the watch with a dark strap and it looks like a so-called man's watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    it does have it's good point thou for those like me who like to dabble with old watches sometime for the helz of it. I will type vintage ladies watch in to the bay search and see whats there , their can some times be bargains to be had as some times old mens watches are some times label ladies when being sold ,

the timex in the op post was a 1970s mens military watch and only comes in at under 30mm (think was it 28mm or could be even 25 mm) .

yes that one is a decent example you picked if in ss I would still go for something like that ( not overly keen on rose gold (gold in general got a few thou ) but even thou it still looks good ) think as longs as it not adorned in diamonds I would consider it ....

so think really the question is the same as it been asked many a time I suppose, is more would we as men wear a womans watch ? ?

and for fun if so what one ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post

so think really the question is the same as it been asked many a time I suppose, is more would we as men wear a womans watch ? ?

and for fun if so what one ?
    I'd wear that Lange above. One of the best they've put out IMO (labeled woman's watch or not). Think it was ~37mm

6. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    I'd wear that Lange above. One of the best they've put out IMO (labeled woman's watch or not). Think it was ~37mm
    It is 36.8mm; a perfect size for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes meijlinder, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    I think maybe should be sold in sizes more then by sex say ...

??mm to 30mm

31mm to 40mm

41mm to 50mm

then every anything else call them oversized maybe ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I think in terms of size it probably is outdated, but sometimes ladies watches are ladies watches:

11. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Purely from a marketing standpoint, If I had my own watch company, I'd call them all "men's" watches. First, you can charge more. Second, you won't lose men customer's by insinuating they're less manly if they like/wear them. And lastly, ladies would not be less interested in them because they are men's watches and would be willing to pay more for them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Likes TJMike5150, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    Purely from a marketing standpoint, If I had my own watch company, I'd call them all "men's" watches. First, you can charge more. Second, you won't lose men customer's by insinuating they're less manly if they like/wear them. And lastly, ladies would not be less interested in them because they are men's watches and would be willing to pay more for them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes it's interesting. Women will wear men's stuff, but not (usually) the other way round. For example yorkie's branding
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    To me it's more about design than size, like litlmn said. Especially since wrist size varies. Also, vintage is vintage--there aren't many 42mm+ watches in the vintage category. I'll proudly wear my father's Hamilton (maybe 30mm) or my birth year IWC (36mm). My modern watches range from 37mm for the VC Traditionelle up to 44mm for my GO and H2O Orca. It's about what you're comfortable with, and what fits you. Or it should be.

Geoff's observation about women vs. men is also correct. I gave my daughter my 37mm Maurice Lacroix, which she wears for special occasions even though it looks huge on her tiny wrist (she's an adult, but very petite). Looks great on her.

17. Likes litlmn liked this post