Likes Likes:  179
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CWC G10

CWC G10

In general

An odd thing, the G10. For British watch enthusiasts, they're like curiously shaped pebbles on the beach. Without knowing quite why, you find you've put one in your pocket and taken it home. Older tritium examples are hard to resist when they're cheap.

You don't buy a G10 because you like it, but because it's an artefact. I do like the battery hatch, though - and the whiff of bare bones economy. In some ways, the austerity of the G10 represents the end of the line for the British military watch, and that's probably why I picked it up and took it home.

Most of the servicemen they were made for can't imagine why anyone would want one, unless they were handed out for free. But for an army-cranky and consumer-resistant watch with fixed 19mm lugs it can't be beat.

Name:  cr 02.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  390.5 KB

In particular

This is an issued example from Anchor Supplies, a military surplus store. The numbers on the back (0552) indicate that it was procured for the Royal Navy in 1990. There are signs of wear ('NATO rash', a couple of minor scuffs) but it's pretty clean. My sailor must have been the elite kind that doesn't bump into things. The acrylic crystal is unmarked but Anchor Supplies may well have fitted a new one.

And now I think about it, there isn't much point in having one that wasn't issued. A fresh one is less of an artefact - and you're paying too much for an odd thing.

Name:  cr 04.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  149.4 KB

In spite of my faint praise I find I like it - much more than I was expecting to. I once had a modern Precista version but this one prompts a different and warmer response. It's because it's real, and it's been used as intended.

On the wrist, I like its lack of physical presence, and its air of 'nothing more than is strictly necessary'. I like the tritium lume contrasting with the numerals. I like the careless scratches on the battery hatch. The ETA quartz movement does a decent job of hitting the markers.

It also helps that I have an affection for CWC, especially after visiting Silvermans, the offbeat emporium in East London that owns the brand. Anchor Supplies is a similar outfit, happy to sell you Land Rover camo netting or a gas mask as a 'gift idea'. From conception and procurement to disposal, the watch is impregnated with Britishness - of the faintly ramshackle kind. You couldn't buy a Swiss watch that was less Swiss.

I like my Grey Funnel Line watch, all plain and ordinary.

It came on an 18mm NATO, as specified by the MOD, but the trademark gap is more authenticity than I can take. I'm using a 19mm strap from Watch Gecko with the NATO loop removed.

Name:  cr 03.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  245.3 KB

I like this. Is this the £95.00 1 on there site?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

3. Likes iyonk liked this post
    I like them that much I bought two and they ant let me down yet and would love one of there early mech's and or a chrono one
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes watchdaddy1, iyonk liked this post
    oh pic
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post

That's the one. 'A Grade' rather than 'Unissued'.

8. Likes watchdaddy1, iyonk liked this post
    for the £95 I would look for a second hand fatboy as these have a higher following and are more sort after
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

​Im hovering over the buy now button.

People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

11. Likes Seriously, iyonk, JAGtime, fvc74 liked this post
    ​Im hovering over the buy now button.

you can get them cheaper I bought a 2005 and a 2006 last year for under £50 each so if you are to shop around as silvermans is a tad expensive if you want I will hunt up the link to the guy I used his prices was well reasonable
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

13. Likes watchdaddy1, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    for the £95 I would look for a second hand fatboy as these have a higher following and are more sort after

Too fat. Thin is good. Never mind rarity.

15. Likes watchdaddy1, Seriously, iyonk liked this post
    Name:  IMG_20161012_220631.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  47.5 KBThe nato strap is from 1991 but the G10 watch is a lot later, small but very striking will not part with I left the army in 1991 after Op Granby others would know it as desert storm
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.