Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Swatch Sistem51 watches

New Swatch Sistem51 watches

Apologies for the vaguest post ever....

A few days ago someone I follow on Instagram (I forget who) posted a pic of what seemed to be promo material for a new range of Sistem51 watches from Swatch that looked like they were a bit more traditional looking design wise. I'm guessing these may have been announced at SIHH, but I can't find any reference to them online. Has anyone seen anything?

2. Likes I-B liked this post
    funny you start this thread the day i'm wearing mine Havent heard of any new models that are coming out, but i will keep my eyes open on this topic...

UPDATE :
    this is what i found after a quick search http://timetapestry.blogspot.be/
    I used the following search-term : 2015 Sistem 51
    Last edited by I-B; Jan 19, 2015 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    funny you start this thread the day i'm wearing mine Havent heard of any new models that are coming out, but i will keep my eyes open on this topic...

UPDATE :
    this is what i found after a quick search http://timetapestry.blogspot.be/
    I used the following search-term : 2015 Sistem 51
    Yes, it was your post in the WRUW thread that reminded me of it

Thanks for the link. I have to say the pink one is absolutely stunning

5. Likes I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Yes, it was your post in the WRUW thread that reminded me of it

Thanks for the link. I have to say the pink one is absolutely stunning

7. Likes I-B liked this post
    MY EYES!!!!

(J/K they're alright)

It's interesting that they are offering mostly tamed down versions of the initial releases. I wonder if that's a sign that more non-traditional Swatch buyers are interested in the Sistem51 than their usual customers.

I am glad t see that they are releasing more model. I was disappointed when they discontinued the automatic chronographs after such a short production run. They were the best value for mechanical chronographs. If I remember correctly, mine cost around $240 brand new. I keep hoping that they bring them back. Maybe a Sistem## Chronograph will be in the Swatch future?

I find the system 51 concept interesting but I don't see the point really other than making a very cheap "Swiss" watch, the Japanese and Chinese have been cranking out very reliable mechanical movements for a long time. I wonder if in the long run it will cheapen the publics vision of "Swiss" quality more than making them love the idea of a mechanical watch?

11. Likes Little Big Feather, ytk liked this post
    Grand Master Seiko Fanboy mike120's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    I find the system 51 concept interesting but I don't see the point really other than making a very cheap "Swiss" watch, the Japanese and Chinese have been cranking out very reliable mechanical movements for a long time. I wonder if in the long run it will cheapen the publics vision of "Swiss" quality more than making them love the idea of a mechanical watch?
    I agree with you on the "interesting but not too purposeful" point.... I would much rather have a cheap Seiko than one of these, but that's just me and there's clearly a market for them. I'm not sure that this will cheapen the image of Swissness that the average schmo has though unless Swatch starts making Sistem51s with real cases. One of even the least WIS (but wealthier) of my friends called the Marathon Navigator I had for a week or two a "cheap piece of junk" because of the plastic case.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike120 View Post
    I agree with you on the "interesting but not too purposeful" point.... I would much rather have a cheap Seiko than one of these, but that's just me and there's clearly a market for them. I'm not sure that this will cheapen the image of Swissness that the average schmo has though unless Swatch starts making Sistem51s with real cases. One of even the least WIS (but wealthier) of my friends called the Marathon Navigator I had for a week or two a "cheap piece of junk" because of the plastic case.
    Given the growing (although admittedly still far from complete) acceptance of HAQ watches I wonder if case material is the last taboo?

Very nice. I like my blue 51 very much.

"He's just a witness"

15. Likes I-B, marcio liked this post