Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonder what goes through "designer" watches minds....

Wonder what goes through "designer" watches minds....

The RL thread got me thinking about other designers and what makes certain designers take a higher horology road then another designer of similar status in their other designer areas. For instance take Giorgio Armani with a net worth about 8 Billion USD. I handled a few GA models and sorry to say they are no better then any other watch in the 100-300 dollar range. Mostly very off the shelf and cheap quartz, not even sapphire crystals.

Name:  0002310_0_Large.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  54.7 KB

...but their other merchandise are held in such high regard and are such higher quality items then their watches. I own some GA attire and I have to say I love what I own from them. You think with their watches they would want to keep that image of high quality.

Similar to RL with a net worth about 6.5 Billion USD.

I feel like RL makes equally if not nicer designer attire BUT when they decided to put out watches, they put out watches that go with their philosophy on their other products. High quality and well made.

Name:  Ralph-Lauren-Sporting-2012-Watches-2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  90.4 KB

Whether its the movements or the build quality its just so beyond many other designer watches.

Even Chanel, although not my style or taste, I have to say makes a nicely built timepiece.

Name:  Chanel-J12-GMT-14.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  50.5 KB

Maybe its the owner's or CEO's passion for watches (such as RL's) that drives the need or want to make a great watch.

I just find it strange that these designer brands as similar in other areas as they are when it comes to quality products, when it comes to watches they choose complete opposite paths.

Brands like Chanel and and RL I root for. They are true underdogs for respect in the WIS community but they do a great job and seem to want to put out a great product even if its not my style I applaud them for putting out a quality watch with their name on the dial. It may not be "in house" but they put a nice movements in their watches and use great materials on their cases etc

It almost seems to me like GA just is looking for a cheap way out. Pump out some cheap watches with their name on the dial and add some extra profit into their net worth. IMO it cheapens the image of their other products. SO you putting out 200+dollar jeans and shirts but your watches are cheaply made and not worth giving away?

I just don't get it.....
    Last edited by -JP; Nov 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM.

2. Likes popoki nui, Harry Moon, GaryF liked this post
    I suspect some just sign off something presented to them by a private label manufacturer, whilst others take a more hands-on approach.

4. Likes -JP, popoki nui, Harry Moon liked this post
    Interesting observation JP.

The Women's Shoe Dept at my local Dillards is right across the aisle from the watch department, needless to say, while my wife is looking at shoes I mosey on over. There is no question in my mind that Armani watches are not an honest attempt to sell quality timepieces but simply cashing in on their name. I will go so far as to say that, in my opinion, even Micheal Kors does a better job, though only slightly.
    But, there are always people looking at them. I used to want to take them aside and suggest other options but, as I've gotten older, I now realize that just having that name on a watch is an instant Such and that unlike most of us, they don't expect it to last. The watch is bought full well with an understanding that in 6 months or so it will migrate to the back of a drawer and be replaced with something else.

I was impressed with Chanel first time I saw the also.

6. Likes -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I suspect some just sign off something presented to them by a private label manufacturer, whilst others take a more hands-on approach.
    And some just slap their name on anything that will make them a quick buck regardless of what it looks like.

Michael Kors watches come to mind. Many MK watches blatantly rip off key design features of famous watches. Sadly, most people don't care and will pay whatever premium the MK logo adds.

8. Likes -JP liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Whether $100 or several thousand, a fashion house name on it is always a turn off.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Unfortunately RL and Chanel are the exception rather than the rule. Most designer brand watches are quite dreadful.

And every once in a while some kind of designer tries and fails gloriously. I'm looking in Brian's direction and directly at his Robert Lighton's.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Nov 14, 2015 at 07:46 AM.

12. Likes Harry Moon, FuzzyB, -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Unfortunately RL and Chanel are the exception rather than the rule. Most designer brand watches are quite dreadful.

And every once in a while some kind of designer tries and fails gloriously. I'm looking in Brian's direction and directly at his Robert Lighton's.
    For a furniture designer, Robert Lighton did pretty well. I think he followed the Ralph Lauren train of thought when he designed it and the watch line was the result of a passion for watches rather than profits.

14. Likes Henry Krinkle, -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    For a furniture designer, Robert Lighton did pretty well. I think he followed the Ralph Lauren train of thought when he designed it and the watch line was the result of a passion for watches rather than profits.
    More than a few watch companies could learn a thing of two about watch design from his pieces.

16. Likes FuzzyB, -JP liked this post
    I reckon the answer to this question would lie in a colossal difference in profits between the GA and RL watch lines. Hats off to Ralph for taking pride in what his name represents (not easy when your starting point is "Ralph" ).

18. Likes -JP liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have always had a soft spot for Issey Miyake's watches, especially the very iconic (but odd) Silas. As a clothing designer he has actually made a commitment to artistic watch designs as an equal part of his aesthetic. I respect that.

Name:  imgres.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  5.7 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

20. Likes -JP liked this post