Likes Likes:  339
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Monday - 31 July 2017 »»»»»»»»»

Something red for Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

««««««««« WRUW - Monday - 31 July 2017 »»»»»»»»»

My grandfather's Omega bumper automatic is 70 years old today. It was given to him on his retirement as a bank manager in India on July 31st 1947.

The inscription on the back reads
    To Mr. J McDougall
    From the supervising staff, Imperial Bank of India, Calcutta,
    On his retirement
    31-7-1947

He wore this watch for 30 years until he died and then it sat unused for another 35 years until I found it in 2013. Remarkably it ran on winding, except the second hand which was struck, and the crystal was cracked. I had it cleaned and repaired by my watchmaker. The red second hand and unsigned crown are likely not original and were presumably replaced during my grandfather's ownership. I've kept these to respect his choices.

Wishing you and your watches a long life!

Regards
    Rory

Last edited by WWII70; Jul 31, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    My grandfather's Omega bumper automatic is 70 years old today. It was given to him on his retirement as a bank manager in India on July 31st 1947.

To Mr. J McDougall
    On his retirement
    31-7-1947

He wore this watch for 30 years until he died and then it sat unused for another 35 years until I found it in 2013. Remarkably it ran on winding, except the second hand which was struck, and the crystal was cracked. I had it cleaned and repaired by my watchmaker. The red second hand and unsigned crown are likely not original and were presumably replaced during my grandfather's ownership. I've kept these to respect his choices.

Wow! Beautiful watch with a great provenance. Thanks for sharing!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post

To Mr. J McDougall
    On his retirement
    31-7-1947

Regards
    Rory

Awesome. That is the "one watch you save from the burning house" if ever I've seen one.

P4-series "Classic" for Monday:
    Name:  Classic.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  60.6 KBName:  Classic 1 copy.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  83.0 KB

Have a great week, everyone.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

To Mr. J McDougall
    On his retirement
    31-7-1947

Regards
    Rory

Interesting and beautiful piece. And I agree with you: the crown is probably a generic replacement, but the red seconds hand was not uncommon on chronographs (Lemania, Mido, Omega) and Omega had a few three hand pieces with similar red coloured seconds hand produced mainly between the 40s and the early 50s. It may be an original part.
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 31, 2017 at 02:10 PM.

9. Likes iyonk, watchdaddy1 liked this post

Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

My grandfather's Omega bumper automatic is 70 years old today. It was given to him on his retirement as a bank manager in India on July 31st 1947...
    I hit the "like" button because we don't have the "love" option. What an awesome watch and wonderful legacy from your grandfather, WWII70!

12. Likes watchdaddy1, gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by iyonk View Post
    Have a great week ahead everybody!

the animation project was finished and sent yesterday, now the waiting begin... i've been work on a bunch of music projects but all the payment are in suspend or waiting mode, don't know for how many more months.. but it is what it is here... gotta go warp speed back to strap making today.. hope i can be productive enough..

after seeing so many gorgeous blue dials lately, i'll enjoy my best blue dial diver.. the SRPA21..

=============
    Some work in progress..
    Attachment 65980
    Hopefully your pay starts rolling in soon.

That suede looks great!
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

14. Likes iyonk, watchdaddy1 liked this post