Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautionary tale with a good ending

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar

Cautionary tale with a good ending

From Matt.wu over at DWC
    -----------------------
    I'll try to keep this brief as possible, but it's an amazing story (as far as online watch forums go) that comes with a detailed warning.
    Synopsis: I was scammed out of a Rolex, but I got it back a month later. Details about the scammer at the end.

What Happened?
    Two months ago, I was selling a watch (as I often do), when I was approached by a fellow looking to buy it (an IWC Yacht Club).
    Everything went smoothly. I received a wire transfer, and I shipped the watch.
    The receiving address was a hotel, but this was during the week of Thanksgiving, so I didn't think anything of it.
    The buyer was very well-spoken and familiar with the "forum lingo" as well as specifics of different watches, etc...

A month later, I listed up a Rolex that I had modified, fairly extensively, in a number of different ways.
    This same buyer emails me to offer a trade (Rolex for Rolex), of watches comparable in value.
    No "too good to be true" bells went off due to valuation, plus I'd already done a deal with this fellow before, so we agreed to ship on a set day.
    This time, the recipient address was at a CBI USA location in Niagara Falls, NY.
    This was closer to Christmas, and he was supposedly with his family for the holidays and to care for his mom, so it was acceptable explanation.
    You can guess what happened: "oops, I missed the deadline for shipping, I will drop it off tomorrow".
    The next day, he emailed to say he dropped it off, and that was the last communication I got from him.
    Normally, this would be a sad ending to many scam stories on the forum.
    I'm certainly not the first one to fall to something like this. But not in my case.

Fast forward a month to last week, and out of the blue I get a text from a good buddy from the forums, Matt Herrera, saying, "Hey Wu! Check this out. Someone else did the same mod as you did!".
    Mind you, he had no idea I had had this watch stolen from me. He sent me a photo, and immediately I knew it was mine.
    We confirmed via serial number that this was my watch and confirmed the guy selling it was the scammer by inquiring about the history of the watch (he claimed he was the original owner).

This was the same guy, trying to "launder" the stolen watch. Matt agreed to help me out, got the scumbag scammer to agree to the trade and to ship first.
    Unaware that Matt knew everything, the scammer shipped his (my) watch and provided shipping information for the watch in return (lo and behold, a nearby CBI USA location).
    So here we are today, and in the world's largest stroke of luck, coincidence, and awesome friendships I've made over the years on the forums,
    I now have my watch back. The scammer got notified via email that he will not be receiving anything back in return, and that he's had criminal charges filed against him (he's since completely cut off communications).

The next step is this post to inform the watch forum communities about this guy's MO so we can be aware of him or others like him.
    But first, of course, I'd like to give the hugest of thanks to Matt Herrera for single-handedly helping me to recover my watch.
    You won't find a better gentleman in the watch world. ...unlike this guy:

Scammer Details
    This guy is well-versed in how to speak like a forumer and understands how legitimate transactions usually go down.
    He's spoken of "can you wait a day, I'd like to try on the watch at an AD", or "I've had this watch modded by Jack @ IWW", or other things that only forumers would mention.
    He's been very sly about exposing names or location, but it does seem like he's in the Toronto, Canada area.
    My watch shipped from there, and the CBI USA locations that he used to receive packages are common locations for Canadians to have US packages shipped.

Names used:-
    Jim Beaumont (jimbobeaumont@gmail.com)- Marc Fong (boltgmbh@gmail.com)- Janice Kwan (wife name used for package deliver at hotel)

Shipping info:- CBI USA @ 1711 Cudaback Ave, Niagara Falls, NY, 14303 (Box number 935894)- CBI USA @ 2416 Military Road, Niagara Falls, NY 14304 (Box number 936448)

Bank account:-
    I received a wire from a Central Pacific Bank account under the name of Jim Beaumont- I do have the account number as well, but won't expose it in case it was a stolen account belonging to a legitimate person

Phone numbers:-
    (437) 887-9468- (425) 250-6828

I've spoken with local police, NY police, and HI police, and will continue to do so. And I know he's scammed others (some whom I'm corresponding with).
    Things are still ongoing, but in the meantime, I'd like my forum friends to all be aware of his MO and aliases. I doubt he'll use the same names again, as he's changed things up both times so far, but you never know.

Please feel free to contact me for further details. I was a lucky one this time around and only hope this can help others from being scammed by the same guy.
    Last edited by mikeylacroix; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:42 PM.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    mikeylacroix wrote:WelldoneWould luv to see this modded ym?
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39068
    Last edited by mikeylacroix; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM.

What a delicious twist

4. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What a delicious twist
    Yeah, wasn't that neat? I love seeing a scammer get scammed. Hope the police nab his sorry butt.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

6. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Damn. It's like if Ocean's Eleven were about watch forums.

8. Likes Chase, Der Amf liked this post
    Sweet sweet redemption!
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

Justice prevails, though in an unusual way. Good to hear. I still hope he gets his for the attempt though, and for what he has done to others.

Good story, glad it worked out, and hopefully his backside will get worked out even if only put away for a short time.

Wow! That is incredible! I just imagine the shock on this dirt bags face when he realized his scam backfired.

Last edited by Perseus; Jan 21, 2015 at 02:09 PM.

14. Likes geoffbot liked this post