Likes Likes:  4,325
Page 251 of 512 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 5113

Thread: The Chat Thread #3

Damn it's hot! I had to move into the shade this afternoon. In fact I had a cold shower which was nice then put my watch back on which was unpleasantly warm. Need a walk in fridge...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Damn it's hot! I had to move into the shade this afternoon. In fact I had a cold shower which was nice then put my watch back on which was unpleasantly warm. Need a walk in fridge...
    All the commentary on the weekend matches were about how hot it was there. Shockingly, it’s started to cool down here. A few days in the 70s, a few in the 80s, and not one in the 90s. I went out yesterday and it was actually nice.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Frost warning tonight over here.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

The problem here is beach hazards. No, really, no joke. For those of you not intimately familiar with the Great Lakes, they behave more like oceans than the lakes you're used to seeing. Waves of 10-12 feet can happen, but smaller ones (say 3-6 feet) are common, and extremely dangerous when combined with windy conditions that cause extreme choppiness and nasty undercurrents that can draw you away from the shore. If you're not an experienced swimmer who is used to riptides and how to swim back to shore, it can be deadly--there have been 36 drownings in Lake Michigan alone this year.

5. Likes Seriously, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The problem here is beach hazards. No, really, no joke. For those of you not intimately familiar with the Great Lakes, they behave more like oceans than the lakes you're used to seeing. Waves of 10-12 feet can happen, but smaller ones (say 3-6 feet) are common, and extremely dangerous when combined with windy conditions that cause extreme choppiness and nasty undercurrents that can draw you away from the shore. If you're not an experienced swimmer who is used to riptides and how to swim back to shore, it can be deadly--there have been 36 drownings in Lake Michigan alone this year.
    https://www.davesandfordphotos.com/c...ions/lake-erie
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

7. Likes gnuyork, boatme99 liked this post

Those are cool photos.

9. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Yup , I found him on instagram somehow

A lot of post process though in some

Apparently he does the whole wetsuit and standing for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

I just checked the growth of 3 trees in my yard.
    All 3 were approximately 7' - 8' when planted.
    Name:  IMG_20190901_105534.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  148.1 KB

L - R, 2 tulip polars & 1 River Birch.

Left poplar is about 43' tall. Right poplar is about 54' tall. River Birch us about 34' tall.

Poplars were planted about 5 years ago, the Birch 1 year ago.

I used the rough timber cruising method, holding a vertical stick at arm's length to make an isoceles triangle and pacing off the distance to the tree. It's rough but should be within 2' either way.

A lot of growth and they're starting to give some real shade, now. All are replacements for older trees that had to be removed.

12. Likes geoffbot, tribe125, Seriously, OhDark30 liked this post
    That's insane growth! Love me a tree - I have a few little ones in my garden.

Also-epic yard! Jel.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

14. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    Thanks, Geoff.
    My house (rental) is in the old part of downtown of a small southern town. It's 5 blocks from the town square.
    I'm surrounded by mostly old stately homes from the 1920s to post WW II construction but my house is just a prefab crackerbox unit that was plopped down in 1967 to replace a large house that burned down. So I get to look at gorgeous homes but my neighbors have to look at my little hovel.
    My lot 3/4 acre and it's the smallest in the area. The largest is 2 3/4 acres and recently sold for almost 1 million dollars.
    You couldn't build here now as it's a wetland. They dug drainage ditches all through the area that now look like natural creeks. Anyone with a basement in these old homes has problems.

16. Likes Seriously, geoffbot liked this post