Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz chrono movement with 30 min subdial?

Quartz chrono movement with 30 min subdial?

Whenever I see a quartz chrono that I might like, the minute subdial is always 60 minutes, which is a pain is actual read if you intend to use the chrono.

On classic mechanical chronos the minute subdial usual does thirty minutes and if there's a third subdial it does 12 hours with 24 half-hours marked.

Anyone know of a quartz movement with that 7750-style configuration?

(Oh, and I don't want fractions of a second, or an alarm, or a slaved 24 hour subdial, thanks Seiko)

Just use the timer on your oven next time you put a pie in......

Weirdly, I don't use clocks when I'm cooking, I go on smell (very sensitive nose, don't you know)

4. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Movado series 800 chrono seems to have a 30 minute subdial

Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    Just use the timer on your oven next time you put a pie in......
    Oh and while you're actually posting, there's a thread somewhere which needs a photo of your Oris diver, with case size specified (The one on the new trident)

7. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Weirdly, I don't use clocks when I'm cooking, I go on smell (very sensitive nose, don't you know)
    Even if this is a joke I'm going to pretend it's true.

To be honest, I don't use timers either. I look and taste to check if it's done. Only while boiling eggs is glance at the microwave clock.

But back on topic, Why would you want a 30 minute counter? Easier to read than 60?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Even if this is a joke I'm going to pretend it's true.
    For once I'm not talking made up nonsense (just true nonsense). I've a sensitive sense of smell anyway but here's an example: if I'm toasting spices in a pan, I know when they're done because the smell changes from warmed-through to kinda-toasty. And so I don't need to keep peering in the pan, the smell will reach my nose when it's time.

Similarly if I've left rice cooking in the kitchen with a bay leaf in, when the smell of bay leaf coming from the kitchen reaches a certain level I know the rice is done.

11. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Whenever I see a quartz chrono that I might like, the minute subdial is always 60 minutes, which is a pain is actual read if you intend to use the chrono.

On classic mechanical chronos the minute subdial usual does thirty minutes and if there's a third subdial it does 12 hours with 24 half-hours marked.

Anyone know of a quartz movement with that 7750-style configuration?

(Oh, and I don't want fractions of a second, or an alarm, or a slaved 24 hour subdial, thanks Seiko)
    All Swiss Ronda quartz chrono movements have a 30 minute subdial. Most of these movements also have a neat feature as follows: The 1/10 second spins for a brief time, like 30 seconds, then stops. But when you stop the watch within 30 minutes, the 1/10 second subdial shows the fractional 1/10 second. After 30 minutes the 1/10 second subdial reads hours from 0 to 10. Match that 7750!

Though Swiss, the Ronda movements are found in very affordable watches from Wenger and others.

Name:  Stuhrling Yellow Chrono.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  120.3 KB
    A Ronda movement

Even better than the excellent Ronda is the ETA 251.262 movement, which has what appears to be two central second hands. But one of these central hands is a 60 minute recorder. Such recorders (also found in Lemania 5100 mechanical chronos) are the only minute recorders that I can read at a glance while driving or cycling. The ETA has other neat features including split time and ability to move the hour hand without disturbing the minute or second hand. It is discontinued, but widely available with a bit of shopping. I am so in love with this movement that I overbought examples and could easily be talked out of one or two if you are interested.

Name:  Victorinox XL 241261.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  74.5 KB
    I have two of these with ETA 251.262.
    I want to sell one.

Alan
    Last edited by Precise; Feb 1, 2015 at 02:41 AM.

13. Likes Martin liked this post
    Bit delayed, but I just found this Timex