Likes Likes:  150
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dress watch choices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    There are very clear definitions of dress watches.

Simply put, for formal events (e.g., black tie, weddings, funerals) you did not wear a watch out of respect to the host. However, with the unawareness of the general population at large today, it's usually considered acceptable to wear minimalist, understated watches. To me, minimalist watches entail a clean bezel and dial, markings or Roman numerals with white or dark dial. And of course, something that barely peeks out the wrist.

A 42mm loud dive watch is not minimalist, and screams "LOOK AT ME!".

There is also an element of utility here -- formal events go out of their way to be non-utilitarian, and historically, even frivolous with the bounds of the rules. Ever wonder why men's clothes look like uniforms and women can dress as they will? The reason is that historically, the host would wear something more interesting (e.g., smoking jackets) but the key attraction of a formal social event was always the hostess. Men are there as easily swappable accessories.

In that context, wearing a dive watch or wearing any utilitarian watch at all defeats the purpose of a formal occasion, whose entire goal is leisure with no regard for time. If you are checking your watch at someone else's wedding or funeral, clearly you value your own time over theirs. Social faux pas.

Certain features are clearly utilitarian -- lume, water resistance, rotating bezel, and so on. One hopes that if you are in the water at night in your dinner jacket, you are either with a charming lady or sleepwalking. Either way, little use for a utilitarian watch.

Now, if you are talking *business* events, then anything is good to go. Because to be honest, in this day and age, most people have trouble wearing well fitting lounge suits, let alone a black tie rig. Nevertheless, in *formal* business settings, you would be surprised at how much judging goes on in terms of attire. Even the ones who wear Timex and Casio do so to make a statement.

I will say that I have noticed a sharp uptick in the quality of watches that senior executives, investors, and politicians wear. Europe has always been more muted (except for Britain, when it comes to watches -- ah, the irony). But in the US, there is an increased trend towards understated watches among a certain demographic, which makes me happy.

I will say that just because you (or I, or Geoff) do something, it doesn't mean that it's appropriate. In fact, Tom does many things that are clearly inappropriate.

I've never heard the no-watch thing about weddings or funerals, only black tie events, and neither are black tie. As for caring about my time more than theirs, the guest of honor at a funeral has all the time in the world....

2. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Blog Entries
    That would have been considered a dress watch in a previous day and age also.

You're focusing on the metal, which is completely incidental. You can wear gold if your wedding band, cuff links, and teeth have gold in them. You can wear silver if your Prince Albert has silver in it and you're not planning on wearing any pants. The metal is entirely incidental.

Clearly, we disagree. A lot of it is also a function of your social circle and the types of events you frequent.

I go to at least 5-6 black ties a year (outside of weddings, which are rarely black tie in this day and age). My wife and I also enjoy going to balls and social events, including classical music performances, art gallery events etc. So I find the value in a dress watch.

Incidentally, my dress watch is a Raymond Weil Maestro that was a gift from my bride several years ago, and it is not gold (and neither is my wedding band or eyebrow piercing).

It has a personality and is yet pretty subdued (the features are exaggerated in the photo). It also has a date, which is unfortunate, but nevertheless it holds sentimental value to me and therefore I wear it at formal occasions.

You have an eyebrow ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    No.

No.
    Good
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I am glad you didn't ask about the mention of a Prince Albert in that post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I am glad you didn't ask about the mention of a Prince Albert in that post...
    I can PM you some pictures.

Of the original choices, my favorite is the FP Journe Bleu. It might win the award for least photographable dial. You've got to see it in person.

9. Likes Der Amf, MarkO liked this post
    I can PM you some pictures.
    Only if I can send back some Jacob's ladder pics.

I think we have gone a bit off topic...