Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** it's a Roamer ... where did it all start ****

**** it's a Roamer ... where did it all start ****

well guys got this rather charming Roamer well I think so so where did it all start what's it age I was guessing 1970's something.

what it's back ground

seen a few other's and they always see to be in good condition

is it a favourite brand ?

or a bit of a outcast ..love me an outcast haha

loved to see some more of them

and first thread in here so hiya
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Hi there! That is a beaut!

I have tried to own a Roamer several times, but always seemed to be outbid.

With the pillow-style case, the 70s is indeed a good guess. The Complete Price Guide to Watches, naturally, shows only two dissimilar Roamers.

Like many other brands of that time, it did not outlive the quartz era.

You got yourself a nice one!

Dan

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Has the brandname been revived? Or am I getting confused?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Has the brandname been revived? Or am I getting confused?
    Well, if the brand name has been revived, it's not worth much. I view it like Fossil. Put a Chinese movement in there and what do you have? Note that I have Chinese movement watches, but they are Chinese watches and not wannabees.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Well, if the brand name has been revived, it's not worth much. I view it like Fossil. Put a Chinese movement in there and what do you have? Note that I have Chinese movement watches, but they are Chinese watches and not wannabees.

Dan
    Still Swiss-made. Small range, just four automatics and several quartz models. I remember seeing this before:

Wikipedia says they returned to manufacturing mechanicals in 2003, but haven't worked out what exactly went on in between quartz crisis and then. I think production ended in 1978. This is the best thing I've found so far: http://www.watchpro.com/13881-meet-t...oning/1/print/

8. Likes scottjc liked this post
    well I also have a Roamer sport I found in a bottom of a job lot box it's well loved ( nice way to say in a right state ) managed to get it working cleaned it up and it's functional now but still looks a bit loved haha ... and is now called a amer sport as ant got a clue where the ro went to haha

Name:  PICT0006.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  45.9 KB
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

10. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB, Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Still Swiss-made. Small range, just four automatics and several quartz models. I remember seeing this before:

Wikipedia says they returned to manufacturing mechanicals in 2003, but haven't worked out what exactly went on in between quartz crisis and then. I think production ended in 1978. This is the best thing I've found so far: http://www.watchpro.com/13881-meet-t...oning/1/print/
    Thanks, but I guess I was being dismissive. I am not too fond of these companies that wink out, then come back and pretend not much has happened. But that is probably not a great attitude to have with watches, so I'll quit here.

Dan

No no no given the forum it's the new stuff that needs to quit I came across a good independent Roamer website full of historical facts. Let me find the link.....

14. Likes is that my watch, Smeagal liked this post
    Blog Entries
    First of four pages of history http://roamer-watches.info/history1.shtml

Very nice, thanks! Saw where they went 50/50 with a Hong Kong firm. Reminds me of one my past loves, Minerva. Had a Timezone Limited Edition Pythagore, then sold it for another watch. Before I could replace it, they had been sold to the Italians and are now part of MontBlanc. No Minerva is left. I could almost shed a tear.

Then again I am a known hypocrite. I swore never to buy a Ball watch after they Swiss got them, but now I own a moonphase wristwatch variant of theirs. Darn, but if it isn't a good looking watch!

Dan

16. Likes is that my watch liked this post