IN 1972 Rado introduced the NCC line of watches. NCC stands for New Case Conception, or something similar. The idea was that the movement wouid be surrounded by the crystal and a rubber bladder. These would form a perfect seal when the top and the bottom of the case were screwed together.Since the bladder surrounded the stem tube a split stem was required. Five different models were available between 1972-78. The NCC-101 with the blue stripe is quite an uncommon variant and I had been looking for one for quite some time. Here's what I got.

I had done a polish of the crystal and a bit of work to the case, but it was pretty rudimentary. After 18 months of work, on the screws I finally managed to get all four out and only broke one. Even with the screws out the case was still rusted together. I finally managed to pry it apart and then it took another ten minutes to get the movement and gasket free without damaging that. Simply cleaning the rust out of the inside of the case took an hour.

The case taken apart:

After a clean the blue bladder looks really nice and free of tears.

The back. I polished the edges with 1500 grit and gave the lightest possible cleaning to the back as the engraving has almost disappeared already.

The crystal and case cleaned and sanded. The edges are sharp!

Old screws

One of the great things about collecting for years- I have a spare set!

Back together:

The fishtail before re-brushing:

Some formal shots of the finished project:

Thanks for looking!