Likes Likes:  226
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Shaving

My wife does the shopping, so I haven't bought razor blades in years. My God Gillette blades are extortionate! £24 for 8? I was bitching about this to some mates yesterday and someone told me about double edged safety razors - like this

The blades are about 10p each. Why has no one told me about this before? They're pretty. And ooh I could use a brush and soap instead of foam. Or a straight razor! Wow you can really spend money on this stuff. I'e just started getting into knives and can't afford another hobby. But this is kind of an extension of that I guess.

It's my 30th next month and people are asking for gift suggestions. Maybe I should get an expensive one?

Anyone know anything about this stuff?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes Steppy, T Bone liked this post
    It's one of those things that some people swear by, but I'll confess to being slightly nervous of it.

I know absolutely nothing about it but I like the look of your picture, how much does one of those set you back?

Been thinking about changing my shaving regimen lately, I use an electronic phillishave but always feel my face has been violated after shaving

Blog Entries
    I've been using my Dad's 1961 Gillette 'Fat Boy' double-edged razor for over fifteen years.

http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2013/...ion-using.html

I swear by it. And I always chuckle at these modern razors that have three blades or more. A lot of trouble and marketing for something that you're just gonna have to do again the next morning.
    I have a Gotta cutthroat razor packed away somewhere, but I've never had the guts to use it.
    Regarding soaps, I switched to Proraso shaving soap some time ago and it's great. Don't have a badger-tail shaving brush. Some guys rave about them, but I have to find out if they actually kill these critters just so I can drag their @$$es against my face.

Regarding double-edged razors, check out Merkur and Parker to start with. Or get on eBay and buy an old Gillette. You'll never touch a BS modern razor again, GB.

Muddy, your turn, sir.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

6. Likes geoffbot, muddy250, Bwana, T Bone, Jeff_C, Ryan, Kevinw liked this post
    I'm quite tempted by this place
    http://journal.cornerstone.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    It's one of those things that some people swear by, but I'll confess to being slightly nervous of it.
    I'll just have to be careful. Probably best keep a Gillett for hangover days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about it but I like the look of your picture, how much does one of those set you back?

Been thinking about changing my shaving regimen lately, I use an electronic phillishave but always feel my face has been violated after shaving
    As little as 7 quid on Amazon with good reviews.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Certainly a lot cheaper than the ones on here

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/s...ety-razors.php

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    My wife does the shopping, so I haven't bought razor blades in years. My God Gillette blades are extortionate! £24 for 8? I was bitching about this to some mates yesterday and someone told me about double edged safety razors - like this

The blades are about 10p each. Why has no one told me about this before? They're pretty. And ooh I could use a brush and soap instead of foam. Or a straight razor! Wow you can really spend money on this stuff. I'e just started getting into knives and can't afford another hobby. But this is kind of an extension of that I guess.

It's my 30th next month and people are asking for gift suggestions. Maybe I should get an expensive one?

Anyone know anything about this stuff?
    Bit of a minefield at first but suggest picking up a DE razor and selection of blades. Connaught shaving do starter packs of blades and you'll need to try lots of brands to find one that works.

You'll never go back once you learn to use these. The nice thing about it is taking time to shave properly and enjoying the time to yourself, less of a chore and more a pleasant experience and another skill you will have learned.

Many people start out with a Merkur HD(34C). Short handle, heavy head, easy to control and pretty mild. (There are aggressive razors and mild razors, you need something forgiving to start) then there are adjustables but stay away from those at first, you'll just end up confused as hell and likely faint from blood loss while fiddling.
    I used one for some time and with the right blade it's a good starter.

Among my favoured blades which I would recommend: Gillette 7oclock super platinum, Personna platinum, Astra platinum, and a pack of Feathers to try once you have the technique down pat. Don't try them till you are confident, they are ridiculously sharp. Platinum coated edges are smoother than raw steel.

Then you get onto creams and soaps, again, everyone reacts differently but after spending £100's on different ones I only use Proraso green now. Weird menthol that wakes you up but I never cut myself using this. Ever. Taylors creams react with my skin, not nice but their aftershave balm is great!

Edwin Jagger brushes are good to start, Kent if you can run to it. Best Badger is OK, silvertip better. Softer and more luxurious, which is after all what we are aiming at here. Bit of luxury. :-)

Dovo straight razor, Edwin Jagger brush, reasonable quality for starters, soap ( gave it away, didnt suit) and balm. You can't buy the stand or razor box, I made those.

My Gillette Superspeed 1963, bought from America, best razor of the twenty or so I tried by far BUT that's for my face and only works well with Feather blades.

Everyone is different and needs to try some out to see how they go. For starters pick one and learn to use it. Once you have the technique try different blades for a week at a time. Change one thing at once. Takes time obviously but if you have more than one variable you can't isolate why things change.

Then you can go for an open razor, and the tools and skills needed to keep it sharp. Strops, chrome paste, belgian coticule stones, water stones, diamond lapping plates. Nicest brush I have there, Kent. Wonderful thing. A good brush is important, lifts hair, exfoliates and gets your skin ready for the blade.

Merkur HD, good starter razor. 2 piece, not TTO.

Derby and Treet blades. Awful.

After much experimentation I'm now down to this:

Gillette Superspeed
    Feather Blades
    Proraso Green Soap
    Taylors Aftershave balm
    Dovo Straight
    Styptic pencil for use after straight ...

Watch these, you will learn a lot from this guy.

At least you've already realised it's futile to kid yourself you're gonna save money. It's worse than watch collecting. :-)
    Last edited by muddy250; Jan 24, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I've been using my Dad's 1961 Gillette 'Fat Boy' double-edged razor for over fifteen years.

http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2013/...ion-using.html

I swear by it. And I always chuckle at these modern razors that have three blades or more. A lot of trouble and marketing for something that you're just gonna have to do again the next morning.
    I have a Gotta cutthroat razor packed away somewhere, but I've never had the guts to use it.
    Regarding soaps, I switched to Proraso shaving soap some time ago and it's great. Don't have a badger-tail shaving brush. Some guys rave about them, but I have to find out if they actually kill these critters just so I can drag their @$$es against my face.

Regarding double-edged razors, check out Merkur and Parker to start with. Or get on eBay and buy an old Gillette. You'll never touch a BS modern razor again, GB.

Muddy, your turn, sir.
    I was typing as you were writing this. :-)
    How do you like the Proraso then?
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post

That's about how I feel after reading through Omega Forums

I have a rather impoverished shave setup. The Gillette for the moustache every morning (no-one likes a moustache) and the electric shaver for the beard every 5 days or so, but sometimes I use the Gillette on that too for fancy occasions where looking like a bum is unacceptable.

13. Likes Steppy, geoffbot liked this post