(no-one likes a moustache)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Name:  tom-selleck.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  33.0 KB

Magnum no likey!!!
    If I tried that, I'd look like a younger version of Gene Shalit

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about it but I like the look of your picture, how much does one of those set you back?

Been thinking about changing my shaving regimen lately, I use an electronic phillishave but always feel my face has been violated after shaving
    You will love it if you go for DE setup and learn to use it. I have a phillishave too but it hasn't been out of the case in years.
    I just treated myself to a straight shave after reading this.

Think of it as a little pampering session for yourself. You know how long the wife spends in the bathroom, well, it's your turn to hog it now.

When I started out with these, before getting the technique down pat and finding a setup that worked for me, it took around me around 40 minutes to shave and my face looked like a baboons a**e when I was done. That's face prep, shave and post shave pamper. Don't despair if it feels as if it's not working at first, persevere and you'll get it and be glad you did.

Now I can be done in 5 minutes if I need to which is almost as quick as an electric but a world away in comfort terms. And because you're taking care of your skin better you not only feel better, you look much better into the bargain.

You can spend an awful lot of cash in the experiment but once you settle to a set kit of razor, blades and soap, its basically free shaving in comparison to the multiblade gang mowers. Which, incidentally are very bad for your skin, all that lifting and repeat cutting drops the hair tip below the skin surface, very smooth of course but this in turn causes, bumps and ingrown hair, especially if you have a curly beard.

Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

Haven't shaved since August- Been using a stubble trimmer instead. Can't say I'm missing it. I keep the stubble between 1-3mm
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

I wish you went bald on your face/chin

I hate shaving .... A right royal PITA

8. Likes Bwana, scottjc, theague liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    I was typing as you were writing this. :-)
    How do you like the Proraso then?
    I was hoping you'd show up.

Yes, it's a pleasant soap. Not too thick, not watery thin, with good coverage and the blade slides smoothly. Makes me feel like I'm shaving in post-War Italy, based on the packaging.
    For some reason, I thought it would be pricey, so I was surprised to find it for twelve bucks. Must get a better brush at some point, though. Then I'll have a think about getting all the accessories that go with the straight razor. I thought all I'd need was a strop.
    Nothing worth doing is ever simple, is it?

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

10. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I was hoping you'd show up.

Yes, it's a pleasant soap. Not too thick, not watery thin, with good coverage and the blade slides smoothly. Makes me feel like I'm shaving in post-War Italy, based on the packaging.
    For some reason, I thought it would be pricey, so I was surprised to find it for twelve bucks. Must get a better brush at some point, though. Then I'll have a think about getting all the accessories that go with the straight razor. I thought all I'd need was a strop.
    Nothing worth doing is ever simple, is it?
    Nope, you can get by with a strop but it's worth taking the time to learn to create the edge, the legendary invisible edge, yourself.
    You can send it away to get it done but nice to be able to create it yourself so you can buy old razors and get them shave ready from scratch. They are never sharp enough from the factory. Test by pinching a hair from the missus head and dropping it onto the blade, if it's sharp the hair will part under it's own weight and then you'll be really worried about putting it to your face. :-)
    Stropping is an art form in itself by the way. X patterns with a reverse flip over the spine to avoid digging into the strop best way I've found.

I still finish up the tricky bits with the DE after the straight. I haven't the nerve to do the coup de grace down the filtrum with the straight. I tried it once and caught my lip, never felt the cut and it took a minute for the blood to start. The bathroom looked like somebody had been dismembered... I called my wife in and she was shocked, I had let it run all down my chest on purpose .. :-)
    When you use the straight make the lather slicker and wetter than for the DE. Thick lather will stop a straight and when it moves again it'll slice you. Smooth strokes.

Proraso is great stuff if you like the menthol, I bet it's nice and cooling for you at the moment. It's refreshing to find a great product at a good price eh! And a tub will do a year easy.
    I know you don't want a badger brush but they do make a difference. EJ best badger is a great little brush, I still use mine when I've let things slide and need a firmer brush to get into the beard. And the "ivory" handle will only add to your post war Italian shaving sensation. :-)
    Last edited by muddy250; Jan 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

Blog Entries
    Name:  20150124_072803.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  56.2 KB
    This is my modest set up. Works well for me. Here in Nebraska there are a few "Farmers Markets", many of which have homemade soap for sale. This particular one is made from Goat's milk. I've been using this for about a year now, and am now limited by the quality of my razor. This is what my barber uses when somebody comes in for a straight shave:
    Name:  TT171.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  28.1 KB
    They're quite cost effective, ten blades which broken in half equals twenty blades, comes to about 15$. I would consider razors to be much like watches, there are all different levels, some are adequate, some are just works of art:
    Name:  Screenshot (18).png
Views: 126
Size:  228.6 KB
    This one is over 1,000$. Too much for me, would rather buy another watch.

13. Likes Teeritz, muddy250, Ryan liked this post
    I tried a straight razor a couple of times. My face looked like I got into a fight with a wolverine... and lost. I'll stick to my Schick Quattro Titanium. I know I am getting ripped off and overpaying... But as a watch collector I am used to that.

15. Likes Seriously, jsw41 liked this post