Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Zenith Defy Lab

Zenith Defy Lab

It looks like the beginning of the end for traditional watchmaking. Assuming that the technology makes it into the mainstream, the days of hand-tooling, or its production line equivalent, will be gone. Modern developments like the co-axial escapement will look like late-stage tinkering with the steam engine. It really does look that radical.

It will also have an effect on the drive to total in-house manufacture. Not everyone will have the capability for advanced silicon technology, or it will make no economic sense for them to have it. This is an LVMH watch rather than a Zenith. The movement comes from Tag Heuer, the case from Hublot, the assembly from Zenith. Something similar on a larger scale will no doubt happen in the industry at large - a few manufacturers supplying the rest.

True modernity rather than 'craftsman' romance. I might not live to see it but I like it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...or-introducing

2. Likes skywatch, OhDark30, Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It's really a fascinating development. I would love to see this evolve downmarket. It could be a real evolution once it gets out of the rarified high end. I still don't quite understand how the energy is stored for the system (like a mainspring) and how it is imported to the oscillator. I am also curious about the longevity of such a flexible oscillating system. I suppose we'll learn more about that in time.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Name:  Finger_Pointing_016.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  6.6 KB

Excellent. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It looks like the beginning of the end for traditional watchmaking. Assuming that the technology makes it into the mainstream, the days of hand-tooling, or its production line equivalent, will be gone. Modern developments like the co-axial escapement will look like late-stage tinkering with the steam engine. It really does look that radical.

It will also have an effect on the drive to total in-house manufacture. Not everyone will have the capability for advanced silicon technology, or it will make no economic sense for them to have it. This is an LVMH watch rather than a Zenith. The movement comes from Tag Heuer, the case from Hublot, the assembly from Zenith. Something similar on a larger scale will no doubt happen in the industry at large - a few manufacturers supplying the rest.

True modernity rather than 'craftsman' romance. I might not live to see it but I like it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...or-introducing
    You posted on the weekend of my 60th birthday, so I really, really missed seeing this. Having been in their facility, I can see them going this route. Very cool. Sort of like starting to blur quartz and mechanical, except you don't have a battery?

The case, however, really sux IMHO. Not my style!

Thanks,

Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Thanks!

I can't take that guy seriously

the one with the oversized glass frames , he's detracting from the video content.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

10. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I can't take that guy seriously

the one with the oversized glass frames , he's detracting from the video content.
    Perhaps. But I have two monitors. I surf on one and listen to the other. When there is something good to watch, I'll watch. Otherwise, I do not need to see the other person on the video. Works for me!

12. Likes Seriously liked this post