Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The watch that got you started?

Oh the thrill! My first mechanical chronograph, too. O&W:

Name:  DSCN5995.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  51.0 KB Name:  DSCN5997.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  55.4 KB

seem silly, but i was watchless for about a decade and check time with my phones like everybody else... and then i bought a G-Shock since i always fascinated by durability of them.. i was wearing and like watches since i was a boy until graduate college though.

this is the one that cause get me back to the disease:
    DW5600MS

Name:  DSCN5195.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  55.5 KB

after a bunch of G-shock... i got my first Seiko Diver Automatic... its the limited edition blue monster... and after that the addiction is getting so much worse =P

Name:  DSCN3122.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  58.4 KB

3. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime, CFR liked this post
    The stuff of nightmares for some.

I was given pocket watches in the will of both of my grandparents. In the case of my paternal grandfather, I knew all about it and it is a lovely solid gold number with a very nice swan neck regulated Stauffer movement. This pops up in a few coveted childhood memories as I was hypnotised by the lazy beat of the huge balance while on my grandfather's knee. Given that he was otherwise a rather remote and patrician figure, the fact that he could relate this way sometimes makes me wonder if he also suffered from the mild high function autism that has made my middle son's life a bit complicated. whatever the truth of that thought, the experience gave me a love of mechanism and the insight to see mechanisms as living things (and, indeed, living things as mechanisms!)

The other was a 1912 Omega Omega - the Cal.19 pocket watch that gave the company the name. This was a complete surprise and due to having had a silver case and having seen a great deal more use, got a bit more actual use from me. For a while, as a teenager, I carried it from time to time until peer pressure disagreed. I then, in the way of kids, completely forgot about it for years, until I bought an almost identical one, However, it's certainly one (of many) reasons that I have such a soft spot for Omega. My parent's marriage was a bit of a scandal as my maternal grandfather was a fiddle playing Durham coal miner and my paternal grandfather the arse end of nobility. This was obviously a generational thing and my maternal grandmother and grandfather's marriage was similarly exciting, with less of a divide but greater deference at the time. I guess the two watches perfectly reflect that divide - one gold with all the trimmings in lumps of solid gold and the other in silver with heavy silver plated brass chain. Given the relative ages of grandparents and watches, the Omega was probably second hand too.

They were certainly the acorns of my love of mechanical stuff, although they spent quite a lot of time forgotten in safe places rather than in constant use.

6. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post
    Got this on impulse while on vacation in europe. Foolishly bought msrp and didnt haggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

8. Likes WWII70, popoki nui, Raza, JAGtime, Colin liked this post
    I received my first "real" watch as a gift in the early '70's:

Name:  Clebar December 2014.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  83.0 KB

Still have it, still runs, but I never wear it. Around 35 years later, I bought an Ecodrive Citizen, and that became my only watch. What really sparked my interest was getting my father's old Hamilton fixed, but it's a bit too fragile to wear. It's fair to say that watch is the one that pushed me into the multiple watch madness.

Name:  Hamilton December 2014.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  74.5 KB

10. Likes WWII70, popoki nui, JAGtime, CFR liked this post
    My first watch was an Ana-digi Alba,now it's gone...still have the Casios but the Alba was nowhere to be found

My first proper mechanical watch was a Rolex turn-o-graph Datejust that I got as a gift from my parents (and I rarely wear it)

12. Likes WWII70, JAGtime liked this post
    I don't know how to answer this...
    It just is...When did I start to walk,feed myself?

14. Likes mlcor, JAGtime liked this post
    Depending on how you define "first", I have two first automatics. My wife gave me an Invicta ProDiver 9937OB for Xmas 2005 (although I picked it out). It was my daily wear until 2009 and was my introduction to this madness. It was serviced for free by Invicta last year and runs -2s/day currently. Invictas don't get much love here but I will keep it a) for the sentimental value [although wifey would never know if I dumped it], b) it's a good beater c) its value is so little it is not worth selling.

The other is my IWC Spitfire chrono bought in April 2012. This was a big step up for me to a $5k watch and I blame my father-in-law. He took a vacation in Switzerland and visited IWC, as he has a long-standing fascination since he was a kid in Romania in the 1930's with "Schaffhausen watches" as he calls them (of note, IWCs were synonymous with precision as in "are the trains running on time?", "yes, like Schaffhausen"). He brought back the IWC catalog and I looked at the Spitfire as the only one I could afford (I also have a WWII fascination, so it also appealed on that level). After a few months of ogling Spitfires online, I tried a couple on at Tourneau and pulled the trigger. This has been in the regular rotation ever since, especially for special occasions both at work and socially.

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  83.8 KB
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

The watch that got you started?

I remember it in two phases. Phase one I was 7 and received a Mickey Quartz watch. From that day I pretty much always wore a cheap quartz, mostly for its function. Phase 2 started around 01 when I tried one of these on at a jewelry store looking at rings for my wife.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422203777.616029.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  151.2 KB
    Mind blown!
    Once I saw how much, I never thought I would buy one though. Stupid me
    Last edited by Dienekes; Jan 25, 2015 at 03:40 PM.

17. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime, T Bone, CFR liked this post