Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case refinisher

Case refinisher

Does anyone have experience of this gentlemans services?

https://www.watchcaseworks.co.uk

PM any experience or views if preferred.

Thanks

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    Last edited by morningtundra; Sep 23, 2017 at 05:36 PM.

sorry I can't help I refinish my own if I can ... was a place in Germany that was quiet good I heard about but name escapes me .. if you do go with him maybe do a little review after

plus if you go into advance edit option then you should be able to modify title
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

If I use him I'd happily do a review. It looks like it would cost about GBP250 for milling, electroplating and two-way shipping. He wants the case only, so a few bucks more for a watchmaker to remove the movement.

...I'm wondering if I could de-case it myself? Would be a first and presumably would need some tools. Am I insane?

I'm weighing refinishing against just re-casing the movement and dial. Just sitting tight and watching for a suitable case to come up.

Hmmm. Any experienced wisdom from more seasoned collectors would be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_1657.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  62.6 KB

depends on movement but right tools it's easy with that type of case worse problem is scratching the back would not matter going it's when returned ..

I use one of three type's of back remover depend case type ranging from a knife for bubble backs a three pin tool for screw backs ( also have a two pin but not always the best tool to use depend type of case still ) then a ball for flat backs or glass back all are cheap to buy Say $10 a pop ....

so once open it is just identifying where to press or unscrew some watches have dimples others have screws ... or levers ...

ok think handling the movement.. removing the movement ...

when removing the movement some will have movement holding screws others may have a spacer so these need to be removed after the crown is removed I find when removing stems always have the stem pulled to setting time first as there is a little cog in most watch stems that is loose so when pulling the stem to setting mode it pins it in place .. if left in winding position the cog is loose and can come out in certain movement (6497/98 or hmt 17j come to mind ) (it happen special when removing the dial too) but can jam with the dial on some times too ...

next is storing the movement ..

I have bought a few movements or parts so have a few little plastic case I use to store them in, would be handy to have some thing like this to protect the movement from dust , damp , etc etc these can be had for a few dollars too...

when I first started to tinker with watches I use to buy what I call tat lots to practice on .. you might have seen them on the bay lot's of old watch in the spare / repairs watch search option ...

it get's easier as the more you do .. plus you can always show a movement pic and we can have a go of guess when the stem release is
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

another option and one I have done a few times would be to sand then polish the case ok it would be a copper case finish but they do look good some time but the back would still be a ss cover thou so does not work on all case types I personal think
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Sorry, should have mentioned this is a Landeron. One that appeared on these forums back in June

Datum Geneve ID Help

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

well yes chronographs are hard to work on looked at a few bit above by level at repairing but still goes the say way with removing the back / stem and from the case is the same you just have to be a bit more careful around the pushers one of the lads re-cased a old 3133 so will find the link too that but yes my post still applies as before as that's how I would still go for any movement I would be working on
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Case refinisher

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    another option and one I have done a few times would be to sand then polish the case ok it would be a copper case finish but they do look good some time but the back would still be a ss cover thou so does not work on all case types I personal think
    I'm intrigued by this idea. A lot of manual work I presume to sand and polish down to the copper...

Is there a risk of deforming the case by sanding the chrome plating off?

Last edited by morningtundra; Sep 23, 2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well yes chronographs are hard to work on looked at a few bit above by level at repairing but still goes the say way with removing the back / stem and from the case is the same you just have to be a bit more careful around the pushers one of the lads re-cased a old 3133 so will find the link too that but yes my post still applies as before as that's how I would still go for any movement I would be working on
    I'm feeling bold and foolish enough to give this a try. Not sure how to remove the pushers though.