Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: loosening a tight bezel

Question Help: loosening a tight bezel

Hi folks

I figured you dive watch peeps would be the ones to ask
    How do I loosen up a tight bezel?

I've got a chrono with CD bezel that barely moves (really a two hand job, which sort of defeats the point of it being a useful set it & forget it tool for work and play)
    Do I need to bend a wire somewhere, or lube it or what?

(My only divers have been a Seiko 4205, a Yema Sous Marin and a vintage Scuba Dude, none with any issues like this)

Thanks!
    Kath
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

2. Likes mil6161 liked this post
    May get more traffic in central. Moved.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    pends the reason some times if not used they go stiff so the more you use it could loosen it as dirt gets trapped in it and jams it up so ..maybe try turning it for a while and it may easy up .. taking them off can be a bit tricky some times depending the watch any chance of some pic's to look at if an easy one to remove might be a better way remove and clean under it . but as I say some times not easy to go back on ...
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 24, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

saying that have you got any dental floss knocking around if so try gently pull through under the bezel lip.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

7. Likes Broker liked this post
    also if water proof put under running water and turn a few times and it might get rid of some of the gunk .. also apparently silicon oil works by spray some silicon oil between the case and bezel lip
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Some bezels have screws retaining them on the watch. Most have bezels that pop off. These have some form of raised area to fit in the bade of a case knife. Some are a bit tighter to fit the case knife blade. . I had one thinner steel knife that I use to use with a pair of pliers to pop off Monster bezels (insert knife and twist with pliers). Some times the spring breaks or folds over and jambs the bezel. I had a UTS that the spring broke on. Seiko's use a large o-ring on the bezels that sometimes jumps out of the groove in the bezel, or get's gunked up. Silicon grease is best for lubing the contact points. When you need to press the bezel back, on I suggest finding a socket wrench socket that clears the crystal and rests on the bezel surface. Put masking tape on the socket. Center the watch on the socket and press down until it snaps on. Now if you have a crystal press then that is even better, but I'm assuming you don't? Here are a few photos of me removing a monster bezel:

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

10. Likes tribe125, DJW GB liked this post
    Thanks Geoff, Is and Michael!
    I'm going to work my way through your suggestions and report back
    K
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Blog Entries
    WAXED DENTAL FLOSS. Seriously it's what I use to loosen my Breitling bezels. Works every single time.

Blog Entries
    I've loosened up a frozen bezel before by running it under warm water, twisting it to break it free, then a few more times until it's noticeably less "crunchy", then blasting it with canned air (like keyboard duster).
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    WAXED DENTAL FLOSS. Seriously it's what I use to loosen my Breitling bezels. Works every single time.
    Interesting. I've used this to polish up crown threads, but never to free a bezel.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!