Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What level of Used is acceptable?

What level of Used is acceptable?

I pretty much buy all used watches. But i find myself focusing almost exclusively on 98%+'ers when I'm looking at modern watches. I'm ok with a little case or bracelet scratching, but I really don't want a damaged bezel or a glass. But here;s the question for you....how much damage is acceptable to you in a used watch and more importantly, if the only way you could swing your grail was to buy a pretty beat up one, would you?

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    if the only way you could swing your grail was to buy a pretty beat up one, would you?
    No. I've never subscibed the thesis that says if a watch is "pretty beat up" its because it has a story to tell. Unless its already mine - in which case I'm part of the story - or it does have a known and relevant life, the watch is only severely damaged. And that usually means a lot of work - not to mention money and luck - to bring it to a new and active condition...if possible. But that's just me...
    Last edited by CFR; Jan 26, 2015 at 06:27 PM.

4. Likes OrangeSport, Seriously, JAGtime liked this post
    If they are vintage I can stand pretty beat up. I enjoy restoration work. If it is modern, I want it as unblemished as possible, but I might take a swing at a grail that was rough.

6. Likes scottjc, FuzzyB, JAGtime liked this post
    I'll buy any crap. That way I have box on box of spares. There are certain watches and calibres I'll always buy whatever the condition. In fact a couple of my favourite watches look positively foxed. A particular favourite is failed lacquer. I love the organic look it gives.

8. Likes Der Amf, JAGtime, popoki nui liked this post
    It all depends on how rare the watch is and how much I want it.
    I've bought watches requiring new movements or new cases just to get a particular model.
    Vintage watch collecting is an illness...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

10. Likes Henry Krinkle, JAGtime liked this post
    Bought a watch which had clearly met with the pavement very hard at least once in its life. New crystal, took off bracelet and gave it a new strap, smoothed off the jagged roughness on case, and that made it wearable. Since its older than me, I figure it deserves allowances

12. Likes scottjc, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I'm a buy it new kind of guy. Any marks/scratches are mine. Also I see how much crud I clean off my watches, I am not a fan of other peoples crud!
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

14. Likes JAGtime, drickster liked this post
    Wish my OCD would let me get something under 97%, but I am too damm picky!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

16. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I'm a buy it new kind of guy. Any marks/scratches are mine. Also I see how much crud I clean off my watches, I am not a fan of other peoples crud!
    This is not my motto, but it is what I do: Clean first, wear second.

18. Likes scottjc, MarkO, Perseus liked this post
    I buy new. The only wear I like on a watch is either from me or a family member/friend if it's a watch I know and have inherited.

A used watch would have to be 100% for me to consider buying it. And even then I doubt I would. If I missed the boat on buying a certain model new then so be it.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical