Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 88 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Never seen Zoolander. I take it that it’s worth a watch then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The movie is stupid beyond belief.

But, yes, it is worth a watch.

Rick “who finds himself compelled to watch it if finding it surfing the movie channels” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

2. Likes Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Never seen Zoolander. I take it that it’s worth a watch then?

No. But that’s just my opinion. If you can stand more than 5 minutes in any Will Ferrell movie then you may like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    If you can stand more than 5 minutes in any Will Ferrell movie then you may like it?
    I may struggle then.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Indeed, but I’m not sure they achieved the same market penetration. Most that I’ve seen look nicer than Atlantics.
    Ha, and now when browsing watch shops innocently I saw another one that I didn't remember earlier: Adriatica.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Ha, and now when browsing watch shops innocently I saw another one that I didn't remember earlier: Adriatica.

I know that one. I’ve always thought of them as ‘Atlantic-lite’ - maybe because the Adriatic is much smaller than the Atlantic.

7. Likes rodia77, Kronos liked this post
    Coming soon to a device near you - more things.

Yay! One of my favourite ever threads is coming back!

10. Likes Kronos, Dimman liked this post
    In the meantime, here's some music:

Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

12. Likes Fantasio, tribe125 liked this post
    • Piaget didn’t sell in America until it was described as the most expensive watch in the world. In 1961, the entire Piaget inventory was carried from shop to shop in a suitcase, and then deposited in a bank overnight. A small advert in The New Yorker got the ball rolling, followed by similar adverts in Vogue and Harpers Bazaar. By the mid-1960s, sales had grown from $165,000 to $6 million. The enterprising salesman was Gerry Grinberg, once a Cuban counter-revolutionary facing execution, and later the founder of the Movado Group.

• If you work for Raketa, you have to accept that Russia’s annexation of Crimea was a good thing. Offering ‘a dream job for you in Paris’, a job advert promised a role in the company’s worldwide expansion, as long as you shared the views of the Putin-supporting company owner - a flamboyant French designer with noble Russian ancestry. In addition, you would be required to make regular reports to the Russian Secret Service at the Embassy.

• Lemania was named after Lake Geneva, because only foreigners call Lac Léman Lake Geneva. And as it happens, the Lemania factory was at the southern end of a different lake - Lac de Joux. For a while, Lemania made most of Breguet’s watches, which made people wonder why they cost so much - until wiser heads dropped the Lemania name and called it Breguet.

• President Lyndon Johnson showed the world his operation scar and Texans went out and bought his watch. It’s hard to believe in 2020, but there was a time when American Presidents could look a little ridiculous - and this was the most gut-wrenching example to date. Johnson had undergone an operation to remove his gall bladder, and feared that his operation might have a negative effect on... the stock market. The White House was upbeat, with daily bulletins that included doctors in white coats pointing to colourful anatomical slides. The President had slept well, he was watching ‘Hello Dolly’ on TV, he would be back at his desk in no time. Oddly, because it might have indicated something different, his wife was shown planting a tree outside his hospital room window. At his subsequent press conference, Johnson thought it would be reassuring to display his unhealed scar, and America chose to look away. Johnson later said his shirt lifting was a tribute to his surgeons, saying: “Those fellows had to go through 34 feet of intestine!” But Texans were looking at his watch, shown in crisp detail next to his scar. Johnson was a Texan, and a gold Rolex Day-Date became the default symbol of a successful Texan. The watch shops in Texas soon ran out, and there were long waiting lists - something else you wouldn’t see today.

• Nomos commissioned Mark Braun to design a watch because they liked his whisky glasses. He hadn’t designed a watch before, but came up with four proposals, one of which became the Nomos Metro. Mark Braun likes the design of Daniel Wellington watches, but seems to think that they are designed by Daniel Wellington.
    Last edited by tribe125; Oct 15, 2020 at 07:27 PM.

I was gonna give you some rep for a new round of Five Things, but apparently it won't let me unless/until I give some to someone else first. So consider this virtual rep.

15. Likes tribe125 liked this post