Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Five Things

• Gérald Genta didn’t like watches. He saw himself as an artist and hated having to adhere to the constraints of time. “However, though I don't like wearing watches, I do really like creating them."

• Rolex has never really made a tool watch. ‘The Professional Series’ was the result of a 1950s marketing concept. Some of the watches were developed with the assistance of professionals, but the intention was to sell them to people who wanted to emulate the professionals, rather than to the professionals themselves. Rolex wanted to give customers a reason for owning more than one Rolex.

• It took two weeks for George Daniels to notice that his wife had left him because he was eating and sleeping in his workshop. This may or may not be true, but those who knew him say that it’s entirely possible.

• The Swiss used to fake English watches. In the eighteenth century these watches were known as ‘Dutch forgeries’ because the market was controlled by Dutch merchants. The forgeries were of lesser quality, but they marked the advent of mass-production and prompted the decline of the British watch industry.

• Before its acquisition by the Swatch Group, loss-making and near-defunct Breguet was positioned as a sports brand. Nicolas Hayek saw that the future lay two hundred years in the past and set about remaking Marie Antoinette’s watch.

Blog Entries
    I think it is very helpful to have the occasional reminder that our horological obsessions are influenced by the marketing departments of companies that strive to maintain their brand identity.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

3. Likes popoki nui, OhDark30, vkalia, CFR, synequano, -JP liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I think it's naive to think that we can live in a bubble that isn't influenced by marketing. In any aspect of life.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

5. Likes Kronos liked this post
    6 - the manufacturer responsible for the first automatic chronograph has been open to much debate over the years - the contenders tend to be Seiko, Zenith and Heuer. However it was in fact u boat.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes Steppy, GaryF liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    6 - the manufacturer responsible for the first automatic chronograph has been open to much debate over the years - the contenders tend to be Seiko, Zenith anf Heuer. However it was in fact u boat.
    Which boat?

9. Likes Strange liked this post
    You Boat?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    However it was in fact u boat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    You Boat?
    Whose boat?

Run's boat!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

13. Likes Roller.959 liked this post
    I have NOTHING to contribute but ​I learned something new
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

15. Likes iyonk, synequano, popoki nui liked this post
    Das Boot !
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

17. Likes iyonk liked this post