Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Blancpain should read that it's natural for a date to be at 3.....not at freakin 4.30....

Date at 9 anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Date at 9 anyone??
    Well, I'm flattered; but unfortunately have a prior engagement.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

3. Likes OhDark30, geoffbot, Raza, tribe125, synequano, Matt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    No, it's natural for a date to be at 6:00.

NO, it's natural for a date to be on a calendar.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

5. Likes Fantasio, mlcor liked this post
    • The G-Shock was inspired by a girl bouncing a ball in a park. Kikuo Ibe wasn’t meant to be working on an unbreakable watch so he did it in secret, testing his prototypes by throwing them out of a toilet window on the second floor. He was close to giving up, with more than two hundred prototypes smashed on the concrete, until he imagined a watch floating inside the rubber ball. Casio thought the G-Shock might appeal to construction workers and policemen. Kikuo Ibe, a modest man now in his late sixties, attends G-Shock events around the world, signing autographs like the celebrity that he is.

• Traditionally, the Swiss watch industry has bought its steel from Sweden. Rolex was once a customer of the Sandvik company but switched to an Austrian supplier when adopting 904L steel. These days, steel is also imported from much further afield.

• Second Lieutenant Milton Riley had a Company Sergeant Major with a dark sense of humour. Standing on the fire-step of a First World War trench, Riley was looking out wide-eyed at the inferno of a nearby attack. “When we go over on the 31st”, said the CSM, “I’m going next to you Sir”. Somewhat coldly, Riley replied, “Why, Sergeant-Major?” “Because Sir, I like your wrist watch.”

• In the nineteenth century, there was a tradition of ‘Lundis Bleus’ in the Swiss watch industry. The most skilled and well-paid workers asserted their independence by not going to work on Mondays. Once in a while, Blue Monday might be extended to include Tuesday and Wednesday. Industrialisation put an end to that, but there is now a Swiss brand named ‘Lundis Bleus’ whose logo is based on an alcohol molecule.

• Roventa-Henex, the ‘secret’ Swiss company that promises ‘to remain discretely out of sight’ is now so famous that some brands advertise that their watches are made by Roventa-Henex. The company has a Failed Brands Room to show you how not to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    • In the nineteenth century, there was a tradition of ‘Lundis Bleus’ in the Swiss watch industry. The most skilled and well-paid workers asserted their independence by not going to work on Mondays. Once in a while, Blue Monday might be extended to include Tuesday and Wednesday. Industrialisation put an end to that, but there is now a Swiss brand named ‘Lundis Bleus’ whose logo is based on an alcohol molecule.
    • \

Officially now, I want a Lundis Bleus. It reflects my personal journey.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Officially now, I want a Lundis Bleus. It reflects my personal journey.
    Same. They're pretty cool actually! Kinda sarpenova(SP?) https://lundis-bleus.com/en/shop/

Bit pricey for a miyota
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes skywatch, rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Same. They're pretty cool actually! Kinda sarpenova(SP?) https://lundis-bleus.com/en/shop/
    Pushing the boundaries with a 9015 though (not that I don't dislike that movement , but it stay in the sub £500/£600 category imho)

Anyway I thought you hated that movement?..... , more so at that price ....

You have to go to 3100chf to move up to a 2892
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

• Glashütte Original was very nearly French. In fact it was, in all but name. Back in 1991, the Glashütte watch industry was known for low-grade watches and wasn’t quite as marketable as we might now assume. The Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb (GUB) was sold to France Ebauches, a company that was already failing. It was a last throw of the dice for the French company, who hoped that cheap labour might help it survive. It went bankrupt anyway. GUB was given government life-support until it was sold to Heinz Pfeifer in 1994. The new/old company had the right to use the name of every former Glashütte watch company and Pfeifer chose the name ‘Glashütte Original’. Heinz Pfeifer cashed in his chips by selling Glashütte Original to the Swatch Group and is now part-owner of the Dugena brand.

• The only Rolex named after a person was the Oyster Precision Campbell. Sir Malcom Campbell was world-famous in the 1920s and 1930s, setting numerous land-speed and water-speed records, both of which he held at the same time. Campbell’s exploits also provide the first link between Rolex and Daytona, Florida. Campbell just happened to own and wear a Rolex but provided a testimonial that was used in advertising. He refused a fee.

• There are currently 407 individual references in the Omega Seamaster range.

• The dial of the 36mm Rolex Datejust is the same size as the dial of the Rolex Submariner. Both are smaller than the dial of the 35mm Nomos Orion.

• Hublot’s outstanding contribution to haute horlogerie might be rubber. On a flight from Paris to Geneva, company founder Carlo Crocco absent-mindedly began to colour his watch strap with a black felt-tip pen. Liking the effect, he spent a million dollars on developing Hublot rubber. Black rubber must be a bit more felt-tippy than black leather.

12. Likes CFR, mlcor, rodia77, Greg, geoffbot, synequano, Radharc liked this post
    • The only Rolex named after a person was the Oyster Precision Campbell. Sir Malcom Campbell was world-famous in the 1920s and 1930s, setting numerous land-speed and water-speed records, both of which he held at the same time. Campbell’s exploits also provide the first link between Rolex and Daytona, Florida. Campbell just happened to own and wear a Rolex but provided a testimonial that was used in advertising. He refused a fee.
    • Some of his descendants live in my town and I did some work for their company. They were unbelievably tickled when I asked them if they were really related to Sir Malcom.
    • Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
      Hublot’s outstanding contribution to haute horlogerie might be rubber. On a flight from Paris to Geneva, company founder Carlo Crocco absent-mindedly began to colour his watch strap with a black felt-tip pen. Liking the effect, he spent a million dollars on developing Hublot rubber. Black rubber must be a bit more felt-tippy than black leather.
    • It's blacker more than it's felt tippier...
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

14. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    • There are currently 407 individual references in the Omega Seamaster range.
    That’s just nuts. I wonder if it’s a record...

16. Likes Fantasio liked this post