Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    Tribe
    I’m really enjoying these lists even if some are debatable. Thanks!

Since when was competition illegal? Or did Swatch prove patent infringement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Breach of contract, likely. Tiffany and Swatch were partners trying to take on Cartier, but disagreed on details or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

• The Robert watch company was established in 1858.
    • Robert registered the brand Minerva in 1887.
    • Robert started calling its movements Minerva.
    • In 1929 Robert was renamed Minerva.
    • Minerva went through several owners until it was purchased by Richemeont in 2006.
    • Richemont decided to turn Montblanc into a watchmaker, and did so by submerging the highly respected Minerva.
    • Montblanc was now marketed as a company with watchmaking traditions going back to 1858.
    • The 1858 collection is inspired by Minerva watches from the 1930s.

3. Likes geoffbot, Fantasio, synequano, Radharc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    • The Robert watch company was established in 1858.
    • Robert registered the brand Minerva in 1887.
    • Robert started calling its movements Minerva.
    • In 1929 Robert was renamed Minerva.
    • Minerva went through several owners until it was purchased by Richemeont in 2006.
    • Richemont decided to turn Montblanc into a watchmaker, and did so by submerging the highly respected Minerva.
    • Montblanc was now marketed as a company with watchmaking traditions going back to 1858.
    • The 1858 collection is inspired by Minerva watches from the 1930s.
    Wow, now that's a real stretch...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    Breach of contract, likely. Tiffany and Swatch were partners trying to take on Cartier, but disagreed on details or something.

That's right. Tiffany expected Swatch to be like an OEM manufacturer for Tiffany. Swatch expected Tiffany to hand over all responsibility to Swatch for a share of profits. Tiffany (according to Tiffany) found themselves frozen out of the design and marketing process. Tiffany thought the resulting watches were a poor reflection on their company. Swatch visited the Tiffany store in New York and found they didn't even have them on display. They couldn't resolve their differences and they went to court. Tiffany lost and appealed, then lost the appeal. Tiffany will appeal again and has had to reassure investors that it has sufficient reserves to pay $400 million if necessary. Tiffany is back to outsourcing and managing watch production for itself.

6. Likes Dimman, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    I’m really enjoying these lists even if some are debatable. Thanks!

Debatable? Never!

They're all truthful, to the best of my knowledge, but I leave out some context and pare them down to make them 'nuggety'. Some of them are 'tasters' that might make people look up the wider story.

And thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    That's right. Tiffany expected Swatch to be like an OEM manufacturer for Tiffany. Swatch expected Tiffany to hand over all responsibility to Swatch for a share of profits. Tiffany (according to Tiffany) found themselves frozen out of the design and marketing process. Tiffany thought the resulting watches were a poor reflection on their company. Swatch visited the Tiffany store in New York and found they didn't even have them on display. They couldn't resolve their differences and they went to court. Tiffany lost and appealed, then lost the appeal. Tiffany will appeal again and has had to reassure investors that it has sufficient reserves to pay $400 million if necessary. Tiffany is back to outsourcing and managing watch production for itself.
    I'm extremely curious as to the designs of the Swatch versions now. Their current watches, despite the pricing criticism, are quite attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    I'm extremely curious as to the designs of the Swatch versions now. Their current watches, despite the pricing criticism, are quite attractive.
    Swatch made a designed Tiffany Atlas:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Likes Dimman liked this post
    That Tiffany looks nasty...

Anyway,that Minerva movt were used in some Panerais

And for those of you who follows Panerai,they'll release a watch that pays homage to an unbranded Panerai that Giovanni (forcibly) made for n-a-z-i (pam 721) however the release date has been pushed back and back and back due to the controversial history...I can understand if they make a "cheaper" watch for bigger profit but flaunting the historical connection with that German bunch....that's a PR nightmare....

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    That Tiffany looks nasty...

Anyway,that Minerva movt were used in some Panerais

And for those of you who follows Panerai,they'll release a watch that pays homage to an unbranded Panerai that Giovanni (forcibly) made for n-a-z-i (pam 721) however the release date has been pushed back and back and back due to the controversial history...I can understand if they make a "cheaper" watch for bigger profit but flaunting the historical connection with that German bunch....that's a PR nightmare....
    Hasn't stopped IWC from milking the very same relationship...

They make a bloody limited edition Petit Prince watch and Saint-Exupéry was probably shot down and killed by a German pilot wearing an IWC (or Stowa or Laco or Lange, but IWC promotes that heritage the most) watch.

Maybe they get away with it due to 'neutrality' since, in their defense, they did make Allied watches as well. Not so much the German manufacturers.

I don't know about how 'forcibly' the Italians were working for the Germans, being Axis and all that. Plus they're already getting a pass on their wrong-sided military watch history.

They could avoid all this controversy if they, #triggerwarning, stopped just milking their boring, same-styled history with vintage ccopy-paste jobs andtually tried to design something...

13. Likes Raza, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    Swatch made a designed Tiffany Atlas:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can't really blame Tiffany for not being too keen on that design.

15. Likes Perseus liked this post