Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Blog Entries
    My favorite thread, anywhere. Thanks for brightening our day, Alan!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes tribe125, geoffbot liked this post
    Brilliant as ever, but, as usual, I have to take issue with a Rolex 'first' claim:

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...te-steel-1939/

There's an even earlier Cartier too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    You've outdone yourself with this latest one--fascinating.

Thank you! Different batches appeal to different people, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Brilliant as ever, but, as usual, I have to take issue with a Rolex 'first' claim:

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...te-steel-1939/

There's an even earlier Cartier too.

Date window.

Rolex (and me on this occasion) are always careful to say window.

Five Things

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Date window.

Rolex (and me on this occasion) are always careful to say window.
    So, they brag about the one feature that most annoys watch idiots. I wish, though, that they made the window big enough not to need a magnifier, or at least learn to mount the magnifier on the inside of the crystal, or on the dial inside that window.

Rick “who doesn’t mind date windows but strongly dislikes pimples” Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Dec 20, 2019 at 01:40 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

7. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    So, they brag about the one feature that most annoys watch idiots. I wish, though, that they made the [i]window]/i] big enough not to need a magnifier, or at least learn to mount the magnifier on the inside of the crystal, or on the dial inside that window.

Rick “who doesn’t mind date windows but strongly dislikes pimples” Denney
    Definitely strongly agree here!

Dan

Blog Entries
    Bravo tribe125. Good one!

Dan

10. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    • According to a serious and peer-reviewed academic study, wearing a wristwatch is associated with high levels of conscientiousness and emotional stability.

• Smart watches with health monitoring features are mostly bought by people with healthy lifestyles who have no reason to monitor their health.

• Popes like Patek Philippes - or they used to. Pope Pius IX seems to have owned several, and his successor, Pope Leo XIII, was also a Patek owner. Fittingly, a Pope never actually owns a Patek Philippe (or anything else), he merely looks after it for the Roman Catholic Church. The Vatican has ordered a number of Patek ‘specials’ over the years, including a dozen Calatravas in purple. The Vatican has also gone private label, as it did when it ordered white gold watches from Schwarz Etienne. The Vatican currently has a licensing agreement with KronSegler for ‘Sacristan’ watches, some of which have a prayer time indicator. Pope Francis, a properly humble Pope, wears a Casio MQ24-7B, generally available for about £7.

• Steve McQueen’s first choice of watch for the Le Mans film was an Omega. The film’s property master had gathered together chronographs from Bulova, Heuer, Omega, Rolex and Tissot. McQueen chose an Omega, but the property master reminded him that he had already chosen Heuer patches for his race suit. Of the four Heuer chronographs, McQueen chose the Monaco, even though the Autavia might have been more suitable for the part he was playing.

• It may be Daniel Roth that we have to thank for the ‘unbroken code’ of Breguet design. Breguet wasn’t much more than a shop when Roth was hired by the Chaumet brothers, who hadn’t long purchased the company. Roth was given a free hand in creating new watches, and chose to resurrect guilloché dials and moon-tipped hands from the early nineteenth century. The Chaumet brothers committed fraud and went to jail, but not before Roth had spent fifteen years establishing the signature style of the brand. Nicolas Hayek may be the financial saviour of Breguet, but it was Daniel Roth that gave him something to buy.

• According to a serious and peer-reviewed academic study, wearing a wristwatch is associated with high levels of conscientiousness and emotional stability.
    What do they say about people who wear two wristwatches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• /.../Pope Francis, a properly humble Pope, wears a Casio MQ24-7B, generally available for about £7.
    Cutesy.

Name:  mq-24-7b_2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  54.7 KB

From all the pics and vids I've seen, the seconds hand and how accurately it's hitting the markers could put 50-100 times more expensive quartzes to shame.

14. Likes OhDark30, synequano liked this post