Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 84 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What puts the cherry on the cake, of course, is that Cohen is a ridiculously style conscious chap and so for a shoot like that he wouldn't just be wearing a watch because he was wearing a watch. He'd have been wearing a watch that he thought was cool, or at least fitted the image he was aiming for. So it's not just that he owned it, he liked it enough to have it right in the front and centre of a picture of him.

That's pretty damned cool.
    It's a cool speculation, but a speculation, nevertheless.

When I read that thing in Alan's post I immediately remembered an interview that impressed me greatly when it was released, and I went to check what he was wearing in it -- turned out the bling on his wrist was coming from a bracelet, and not a watch, or at least I couldn't recognise a watch there.

Then I checked a few other footages available on YT:

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-03-12 19-52-48.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-03-12 19-54-14.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-03-12 19-56-01.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-03-12 19-59-38.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-03-12 20-00-28.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  29.6 KB

In the interview from 1988 it might be the CWC. In the one from 1989 it's a digital quartz. Can't tell the one from 1992.

I'm sure I've mentioned that 'Night on Earth' is one of my favourite films, mostly for the way Cohen glues it all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1m6GlPyOSU

There may well be some language that is slightly NSFW.
    Loved that film as well and it's high time I watched it again -- but I can't remember any Cohen connection there?

2. Likes Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What puts the cherry on the cake, of course, is that Cohen is a ridiculously style conscious chap and so for a shoot like that he wouldn't just be wearing a watch because he was wearing a watch.

Indeed. The man and the watch is a stunning combination. A stunningly unlikely combination, perfectly captured and compounded by the nature of the photo.

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    In the interview from 1988 it might be the CWC.

Agreed. That could well be it.

deffo looks like a fatboy to me from the size and shape wearing my
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Yours is later, though. His would have looked like this -

Name:  295C0A26-2CF8-4F8B-84CD-90B846E91306.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  44.4 KB

• Chewing gum is recycled into watch straps. What is described as ‘pre- and post-consumer gum waste’ is diverted from landfill and turned into Gum-Tec compounds. Other than watch straps, Gum-Tec material is used to make Wellington boots the colour of bubble-gum. Happily, in some parts of the world, Wellington boots are known as gumboots. The United Kingdom produces half a million tons of chewing gum waste each year.

• Where did Kenissi come from - not the company, but the name? The company was founded by Tudor, and makes the in-house Tudor movements, but Kenissi doesn’t sound very Swiss. Well, it’s just a guess, but Kenissi is an anagram of kinesis, which means movement. So a Tudor in-house movement is a Movement movement. Capital!

• There may not have been a Rolex on the summit of Everest in 1953, but twenty years earlier there were four Rolex Oysters that went a hundred feet higher. The watches were supplied to the Houston Expedition, who with two unpressurised bi-planes, were the first to fly over Everest. Lady Lucy Houston, who funded the expedition was an extraordinary character. Originally a chorus girl, she married her way to enormous wealth, becoming an aristocrat along the way. Alarmed by the movement for independence in India, the Everest expedition was her way of demonstrating British superiority to “restless native peoples”. Rolex wasn’t slow to run an eye-catching advertisement, featuring a letter of endorsement from the leader of the expedition, and a picture of the cushion-shaped Rolex Oyster. No Smiths watches were involved in the aerial conquest of Everest. None at all. Lady Houston wasn’t finished with aviation, and was later dubbed ‘The Mother of the Spitfire’. Rolls Royce said that the Spitfire’s engine would not have been ready for World War II, had Lady Houston not funded its development for the Schneider Air Trophy.

• It’s the Luftwaffe fliegers that get the attention, but there were seventy suppliers to German land forces in World War II, and all but two of them were Swiss. Most of the companies have faded away, but the list includes some brands that are still around today, including Doxa, Longines and Zenith. The watches are not unlike the British ‘Dirty Dozen’ in appearance, but completing the set is at least five times harder.

• Pascal Raffy retired at thirty-six but wanted something to do, so he bought Bovet for five million dollars. Raffy was first attracted to Bovet by feeling one of their watches under a cloth in a blind test. When the Neuchâtel canton asked if he would be interested in a fourteenth-century castle, once owned by the Bovet family, he bought that too. Surprisingly, Bovet was established in England, in 1822, but relied on producers in Fleurier. Bovet now makes everything in-castle, and Pascal Raffy would seem to be richer than ever.

I do love this thread and all it’s wonderful snippets. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    [LIST]
    The United Kingdom produces half a million tons of chewing gum waste each year.
    Does that include or exclude the amount found under school desks and park benches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    in-castle
    third-party < in-house < in-castle

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    There’s something slightly intriguing about castles that produce stuff.

I’m thinking also of the Faber Castell castle in Nuremberg (pencils), and Castle Tayto, the slightly forbidding home of Tayto Crisps

It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

14. Likes tribe125, CFR liked this post