Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 87 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

I inherited an Atlantic Woldmaster from my grandfather. When I serviced it, the watchmaker told me that they were called "smuggler watches" decades ago. Atlantic didn't have official import channel to Finland, but some were brought into country unofficially for street sale by sailors from merchant ships, maybe they were Polish.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    • The Cold War led to a golden age for Atlantic. Just as a wall was being built across Europe, Atlantic opened their first shop in Poland, and for the next forty years they had the market more or less to themselves. A minor player at home, the Swiss company struck a deal with the communist authorities, and then showcased their watches in Pewex, a hard currency shop that sold Western products for dollars. An Atlantic watch was prestigious, costing the equivalent of a month’s salary, and it was a symbol of Western luxury, even if it was scarcely known in the West. And then the wall came down and so did Atlantic, becoming a budget brand - which in reality it always had been, even when it was luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    I inherited an Atlantic Woldmaster from my grandfather. When I serviced it, the watchmaker told me that they were called "smuggler watches" decades ago. Atlantic didn't have official import channel to Finland, but some were brought into country unofficially for street sale by sailors from merchant ships, maybe they were Polish.

Quite possibly. There’s an interesting story in there somewhere.

• The Pierce Arrow had a Borg clock.

Name:  IMG_5073.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  297.2 KB

4. Likes OhDark30, Pip, tribe125, Samanator, Strange liked this post

Five Things

first used, almost word-for-word, in an advert for a Pierce Arrow in 1933. The Pierce Arrow had a Borg clock. But what sensible person would look these things up?
    There is a Pierce Arrow museum in Buffalo. http://www.pierce-arrow.com Next time I’m there, I’ll see if I can find any examples of the Borg clock or any reference to this advertising text.

I’ve visited this museum several times and if you’re in Buffalo it’s well worth a visit. They have numerous cars in addition to Pierce Arrows, including 60’s and 70’s muscle cars and a Frank Lloyd Wright designed gas/petrol station! http://www.pierce-arrow.com/frank-ll...illing-station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WWII70; Apr 4, 2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

6. Likes tribe125, Strange liked this post
    Fireplaces in a gas station? I can see why it wasn’t built.

Rick “FLW was not always practical” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

8. Likes Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Fireplaces in a gas station? I can see why it wasn’t built.

Rick “FLW was not always practical” Denney
    "If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."

-Derek Zoolander

10. Likes OhDark30, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    "If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."

-Derek Zoolander
    Derek is a personal hero of mine. Style icon, idol, philanthropist (school for children with learning difficulties)... What a guy.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

12. Likes OhDark30, Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Derek is a personal hero of mine. Style icon, idol, philanthropist (school for children with learning difficulties)... What a guy.
    Never seen Zoolander. I take it that it’s worth a watch then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Never seen Zoolander. I take it that it’s worth a watch then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    if you like puerile entertainment then yes if not would skip it for sure
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    puerile
    And I learned a new word.