Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accurately applied lume costs *how much*?!?

Accurately applied lume costs *how much*?!?

I'm not fussed about lume, but I care about well finished dials. The lume is usually the worst thing on a dial.

Rolex seem to have got the problem licked. How many grand of the price of a Sub goes on Accurate Lume Application?

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    lume shot for u

4. Likes is that my watch, timekeeper liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    lume shot for u

Please could you give us the daylight shots, comparing the accuracy of the application?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar

good application

poor application

I guess I have no experienced poorly applied lume (insufficient lume for easy reading in total darkness is another matter, but I'm not that picky about that with most watches). Now, you're going to make me inspect all my watches with a 10x loupe. Edit: After seeing Mikey's example, I have to go study the collection.

I don't think I'm going to find any real issues, though.

I like watches where the lume doesn't look like lume until one is in darkness, and certainly both the bottom two watches are that way. Granted, none of the above are bargain-basement watches, but their price is not driven by the effort to accurately apply lume, I don't think.

Rick "thinking the lume looks pretty accurately applied even on his Seiko Monster" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Jan 28, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

8. Likes Der Amf, Bwana, timekeeper liked this post
    Bad/Puffy lume application

As well done as Rolex

As for Rolex, they havent seem to perfect orange lume, its not that well done on my Milgauss

10. Likes timekeeper liked this post

Accurately applied lume costs *how much*?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Rolex seem to have got the problem licked. How many grand of the price of a Sub goes on Accurate Lume Application?
    How many grand to apply the lume or how many grand do they charge for that correctly applied lume?

It is frustrating to see rough edges and inconsistently applied lume.

One of the best applications I have ever seen is on the Angular Momentum Illum Aqua. They used an enameled lume so it had a smooth, uniform surface that was flush with the surface of the dial. And it glowed better than anything I've seen.

Last edited by FuzzyB; Jan 28, 2015 at 03:14 PM.

This is probably not to Rolex standards but it is pretty nice.

P1200752 by hankblanc, on Flickr

P1200743 by hankblanc, on Flickr

P1200739 by hankblanc, on Flickr

It is bright, lasts through the night and is sharply defined both day and night. The watch is tungsten carbide with a sapphire crystal, is a limited edition and included cufflinks with moving parts. MSRP was ~$1300, so I'd guess it doesn't have to cost a lot.

My wife's Hyperchrome and my D-Star are similarly well applied and my D-Star is REALLY bright.

13. Likes DM71, iyonk, timekeeper liked this post
    That looks like a Gary123 watch!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    That looks like a Gary123 watch!
    I think he does have a different Angular Momentum, doesn't he?