Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat/painted dials vs dials with dimension

Flat/painted dials vs dials with dimension

When purchasing a watch sometimes this becomes a factor in one way or another. On one hand I love the utility look of the dials of watches such as the U1 and Speedmaster and I very well may have both in my collection at some point soon. These are just examples but these kind of dials sometimes leave me umm...
    a bit flat .

As much as I love their casework and style there is something to be said with dials of more dimension, 3D effect, things that "pop" or whatever you want to call it. Whether its the beautifully raised logo on a Grand Seiko or the intricate pattern of the dial of an Aqua Terra. The raised indices and other texts, it just seems very interesting to me. Looking at these kind of dials at different angles and lighting just seems a little more alive sort to say while flat dials with painted logos, texts and indices have a more clinical effect that could possibly be a bit more boring perhaps?

For me, its the overall package but of course the added detail is a nice touch. I come to second guess myself with such classics as the Speedy or U1 and other great watches with flat dials. Would I appreciate it more if it had more detailed indices, depth to the dial or raised texts? I don't think so. These are a classic and future classic watch the way they are exactly, in their own right so I guess not. How does everyone else feel about flat dials vs dials with more dimensions? These brands and models and just examples as many watches have or don't have these features.

On dress watches I gotta have applied markers and logo. Othwrwise I'm easy.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes -JP liked this post
    Anything goes, as long as I like it and it's a

I have a Kemmner with a matt black dial (covered with an AR treated sapphire), I had to take the screw down sapphire bezel off when I received it to remove an loose fleck of lume and was utterly stunned when I looked into the utter matte-ness of the dial !! .
    (I couldn't capture it on camera with or without the sapphire in front of it at the time, but maybe I can now with my new macro hmmmmmm, sounds like a plan....)
    It's a bit how I imagine the U1 (above) is in real life.
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 28, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

5. Likes -JP liked this post
    I like applied logos and indices... and I like them with facets to catch playful glints of light.

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    On dress watches I gotta have applied markers and logo. Othwrwise I'm easy.
    For me, that applies to all watches. I don’t think I have anything in my collection with a printed dial. The examples in OP are non-starters for me, even though I have admired the Speedmaster in the past (I can't even bring myself to consider the 9300). My compromise is the beautifully-dialled Speedy Day/Date.

Name:  speedy dya date.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  41.5 KB
    Last edited by WWII70; Jan 29, 2015 at 01:47 AM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

9. Likes -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Othwrwise I'm easy.
    Does your wife know that?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Does your wife know that?
    Yep!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I love some 3D in my dials. Pie pans, raised or lowered numerals, applied indices and logo's.

And when a hand follows the curved dial, it's even better!

Patterned dials:

Painted dials are just, dull...

13. Likes geoffbot, Nutty28, FuzzyB, DM71 liked this post
    i have this reverse pie pan dial on one of my NOS watches:

Name:  output_zps1uhh3wlv.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  output_zpsbrvgl8zt.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  44.8 KB

15. Likes Martin, DM71, Imitation of Life liked this post

17. Likes DM71 liked this post