Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick bit of advice please

Quick bit of advice please

I got a watch in the post yesterday, a 70s Soviet, very nicely packaged. In the first 24 hours it has stopped four times: twice on my wrist, and twice while sitting dial up on my desk. The watch was running ok went it started its journey to me (of this I have no doubt) and has been recently serviced. Aside from the stops it has been keeping good time.

(a) what might the problem be, and how straightforward a mend is it?

(b) typically, who takes responsibility for issues like this, the seller or the buyer? Or both?

hard one if it had been brand new I would have said seller and get them to replace .

but a watch from the 70's can work perfect for months then go or they can go out the box travel as far as it did would have given it a good shake up and would have had a few bump I would say it may need to settle.

so I would make the seller aware of my concerns now but say that you will see how it settles a week or fortnight in and then if it is still not right you have been fair to the seller then maybe sort something out between the pair of you then depends on what was the contract i.e as seen / or as stated
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    hard one if it had been brand new I would have said seller and get them to replace .

but a watch from the 70's can work perfect for months then go or they can go out the box travel as far as it did would have given it a good shake up and would have had a few bump I would say it may need to settle.

so I would make the seller aware of my concerns now but say that you will see how it settles a week or fortnight in and then if it is still not right you have been fair to the seller then maybe sort something out between the pair of you then depends on what was the contract i.e as seen / or as stated
    This is very reassuring. The seller said:

"a couple times if it went for a month or two without wearing, it needed a little tap after winding to wake it up, but it's perfect when worn more often"

so hopefully the journey has been the equilvalent

When he said that I didn't worry that - more than a couple of my watches can need an "AHEM!" to get them going, but never had them stopping.

I'll keep it running for several days, keeping an eye on timekeeping, and follow your other advice as well.

yeah old watches tend to have a mind of it's own got a smiths works fine but if I have not worn it in a month after winding it up have to give it a tap on my palm a couple of times then when it starts works great it's just temperamental when not being constantly used .. most need time to settle when they have travelled I have found if still having issue in say two weeks then yes possible got issue but this soon just needs time I think
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Vintage can be tricky. I'd give it a week of operation and if it doesn't settle down I'd contact the seller for advice.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I'm whispering sweet nothings at it like there's no tomorrow

I would just put it in your pocket and just carry it around a bit I am doing that at the minute I have one that has been over wound but I can't get the back of but I slip when I tried and drop it on to the table and it went for a about 30 sec then stopped so have put it on my right arm and left it and now it still stopping and starting but if I can get it to run down by it's self there is a good chance it will wind up ok. once it has run down so it is running for about a minute then stopping so there might be a chance this will sort it .. so yeah stick it in your pocket or wear it and it might settle on it's own
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quick bit of advice please

This has happened to me often with vintage watches, and it's to do with the oil being a bit sluggish due to infrequent/ lack of wear, I believe
    The best remedy is wear - wear the watch as much as poss for the first few days, and if it stops give it a 'technical tap' - a quite firm blow on something soft ( eg, holding the watch by both ends of the strap, tap it on the back of your hand). This will be needed less and less frequently as the oil starts lubricating well again
    Most of the time, this'll be enough to get things going again. Good luck!
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    In last 64 hours it's only stopped once. And, er, that might have been because it ran down

I wonder how cold it got en route to me, too

Yes, I've heard the theory that the cold of air cargo holds can congeal yer oil
    And running down, yes, that'll do it :-)
    Just browsing my 'collection' ahead of the gtg, one of my 24hr watches had to be repeatedly encouraged back to life, and is now clanking away merrily
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422793040.042109.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  55.9 KB
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

15. Likes is that my watch, Der Amf liked this post