Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Watch reeks of smoke

Watch reeks of smoke

I recently bought a vintage Waltham. It however reeks of smoke. I have heard that sticking it in baking soda will help with the smell. Should I be worried about sticking a vintage watch in a tub of baking soda though?

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I recently bought a vintage Waltham. It however reeks of smoke. I have heard that sticking it in baking soda will help with the smell. Should I be worried about sticking a vintage watch in a tub of baking soda though?
    Looks like a half baked idea to me try a room freshener with the back off at least it will smell of orchids or something like that
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

3. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Pocket watch or wrist? If wrist, you will need to replace the strap. If pocket, it will need to cleaned.

Baking soda will gum gum up the works if you get it in the movement. It may take away the odor, but if you don't remove what cause it (tar film?), it'll come back.

Dan

Any lingering smell has gotta be on the soft material of the strap, it's not gonna stick to metal unless it's sticky tar.

Change the strap asap and if still there get the whole watch professionally stripped and cleaned

could be wrong heard of getting a zip lock bag with coffee grounds in and loose wrap the watch to stop it staining the watch and put in the zip lock bag and seal and leave for a couple of days the coffee absorbs the odour if I remember right
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    could be wrong heard of getting a zip lock bag with coffee grounds in and loose wrap the watch to stop it staining the watch and put in the zip lock bag and seal and leave for a couple of days the coffee absorbs the odour if I remember right
    Well, if it works, let us know. I always assumed it was like a fridge. If you put backing soda in, it absorbs the odors. But unless you remove what is causing the odors, it'll come back once you remove the baking soda.

Dan

It is on a bracelet not a strap. I removed the bracelet and the smell is gone. So now I just need to give the bracelet a good clean.

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Dishwasher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Dishwasher
    If it's just the bracelet, it would be this or the ultra-sound!

Dan