Likes Likes:  15

Thread: G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1

Blog Entries

G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1

Was waiting for me at a FedEx location safe and sound after work. Unboxing (Tin within a box within a box):
    Name:  20150202_172810.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  33.8 KB
    Name:  20150202_172918.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  20150202_173055.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  39.9 KB

I had requested it be held for pickup, instead of attempted to be delivered. Wouldn't have it today had they tried.

Name:  20150202_173300.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  39.5 KB

Buckle came wrapped in plastic; nice touch I thought.

Name:  20150202_173204.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  47.7 KB

I've handled plenty of G-Shocks. However this is the first I've ever owned that came in a tin, and by far the nicest one I've personally handled. I realize there are higher dollar ones out there, which I'd love to handle, but this one fit me the best.

Name:  20150202_173528.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  32.2 KB

The manual next to a 53.5mm watch. I'm sure I've read shorter novels!

Name:  20150202_173428.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  36.1 KB

Absolutely wonderful case back. I'm sure some of you realize I'm a "cat person", and this couldn't have turned out better.

Name:  20150202_173758.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  47.7 KB

I have ~ 8.5 inch wrists. The (according to manufacturer) 53.5mm width sits fairly well for me. First impression is that it's a very comfortable watch. Heavy enough to have that "heft" indication of quality, light enough to not be bothersome.

Name:  20150202_173920.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.6 KB

Wrist shot where I'm married*

I chose the GW9400-1 over the GW9400J-1JF. It would have been nifty to have the somewhat rarer Japanese version with the carbon fiber inlaid strap. But I just couldn't justify the extra 75$, and the fact that I couldn't be 100% sure I'd bought it from an authorized dealer. After seeking forum advice it was my understanding that it wasn't worth it anyway. I paid 25$ less than msrp for signing up for the Reeds Jewelers mailing list. I now get 4+ emails from them a day, and it was completely worth it. The cheapest shipping option had it here in 3 business days.
    I had handled a GW9400-3 (green version) at our local mall and liked the quality at the time. Wasn't my favorite color, and I'm really not a fan of the negative display. I found it to be harder to read than the traditional counterpart. Overall though, I had an indication of quality and had no hesitation moving forward with purchasing the GW9400-1.

To the forum members who brought the Rangeman's existence to my attention, and assisted with this decision, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Excellent choice. Great watch. I tried one on somewhat recently and just couldn't get my head around how big it was/felt on the wrist. Admittedly, I'm used to my 40mm by 8mm watch, and my only G-Shock is the 5600, which is the smaller, old-school one. Maybe I'll revisit the Rangeman. When I tried it on it did feel particularly well-made. Congrats and enjoy.

3. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Congrats!!! lookin' forward for your WRUW on the G-Shock forum =)

5. Likes Spooky liked this post
    looks pretty cool. I'm still thinking of getting one of these fancy G-Shock things.... Rangeman is a contender.....

7. Likes Spooky liked this post

Nice,I have this one because most of my Gshocks are already black colored (9330 and A1030 come to mind),and it is one of my most complimented watch....

9. Likes popoki nui, Spooky liked this post
    Shaun - wicked. Looks good.

11. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Looks Great on your wrist Shaun.

I've ALWAYS claimed I would never own a G. BUT since being more active on the forums again I started to see lots of G's so I started looking @ the G-Shock a little more closely.I needed a good takes a lickin' & keeps on tick'n piece instead of wearing my Pam's & Rolex's all the time & boy did I find it in G's
    I'm a bit of a watch snob I have to admit. But I'm here to tell you NOW I understand ALL the LOVE/HYPE over them I LOVE the 2 I own.

Congrats
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

13. Likes Spooky, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    Looks Great on your wrist Shaun.

I've ALWAYS claimed I would never own a G. BUT since being more active on the forums again I started to see lots of G's so I started looking @ the G-Shock a little more closely.I needed a good takes a lickin' & keeps on tick'n piece instead of wearing my Pam's & Rolex's all the time & boy did I find it in G's
    I'm a bit of a watch snob I have to admit. But I'm here to tell you NOW I understand ALL the LOVE/HYPE over them I LOVE the 2 I own.

Congrats
    I used to be a watch snob but since joining watch forums and becoming more educated I came to respect these watches. I love how they are so thoughtfully designed to fit specific parameters; thus giving them more "soul" than your average watch, which after all is said and done are merely trinkets and decoration. I value the fact that these watches have a job to do; proper tool watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post

Nice,I have this one because most of my Gshocks are already black colored (9330 and A1030 come to mind),and it is one of my most complimented watch....
    My comments above aside, that is still a very nice watch. It was the one I handled that sold me on the rangeman's quality. We ultimately buy watches for ourselves and should care little what other people think of them. May she give you many good years! (According to the manual it stops updating automatically on 01/01/2100)

16. Likes synequano liked this post