Likes Likes:  181
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leather Goods Thread

Blog Entries

The Leather Goods Thread

Okay, so you guys know I have an unhealthy obsession with messenger bags. In my effort to consolidate, I found something I really liked and was different from the one I mostly use now, my Saddleback Leather satchel. I got a Saddleback front pocket messenger—it came yesterday and had a ton of surface scratches on it. The seller (I bought used, talked him down from $400 to $340, a new one is $509) said it was a year old—about the same age as my satchel, but it was in much worse condition. It was all superficial, so I figured it could be repaired. I bought Chamberlain’s Leather Milk No.1 and No.2, Saddleback’s recommended brand (family connection between the companies, of course, but it helps because the formulas were designed with Saddleback in mind) and gave it a go today. Shocking results:

Before:

After:

The difference was so incredible that when I showed it to my brother, he said “That’s the same bag?” I’m really impressed with this stuff. I highly recommend it.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

That is amazing scratch repair/healing. Saddleback makes superb products.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

3. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    That is amazing scratch repair/healing. Saddleback makes superb products.
    Yeah, I have to agree. I tried a lot of other brands for less money and I should have just invested in Saddleback in the first place. Like watches, I would have saved a lot of money.

There are a few scratches still evident now that it’s fully dried, but the healing balm is coming tomorrow, so I’ll give that a go on the remaining scratches. But it’s a night and day difference.

5. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The results look amazing. Good tip, thanks!

(By the way I love the look of aged and weathered leather, but those scratches looked annoying. Great job!)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes Raza liked this post
    I love Saddle Back Leather Company!! I have the bucket back pack and a leather duffel bag that I use when I travel. They will be around a lot longer than me. And, yes, Chamberlain's leather milk is awesome, I use it not only on the bag/duffel but also the leather in my car, wonderful stuff!!!

They're mountain back waxed canvas stuff is great too, awesome for those that may want a quality bag/back pack but with a lighter weight . . .
    Last edited by uchinanchu; May 9, 2018 at 06:55 AM.

9. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    I love Saddle Back Leather Company!! I have the bucket back pack and a leather duffel bag that I use when I travel. They will be around a lot longer than me. And, yes, Chamberlain's leather milk is awesome, I use it not only on the bag/duffel but also the leather in my car, wonderful stuff!!!

They're mountain back waxed canvas stuff is great too, awesome for those that may want a quality bag/back pack but with a lighter weight . . .
    I haven’t tried any of the waxed canvas Mountainback stuff. I always felt they were too close to the leather bags in price to be a good value. For waxed canvas, I’m a big fan on Frost a River bags. I have one as a weekend bag/carry-on, and it’s held up really well. They’re less money than Mountainback, handmade in the USA, and also come with a lifetime guarantee. Something like Mountainback’s waxed canvas “Indiana” 10” by 10” gear bag costs $250, whereas my full on carry-on size weekend bag from Frost River was $180–that’s a lot more bag for not a lot of money. And having experienced the workmanship of Frost River firsthand for several years now, I would have a hard time swallowing the Mountainback prices. Plus, waxed canvas is all Frost River does, whereas Saddleback just started doing waxed canvas a couple of years ago. For leather, Saddleback can be the best value out there. For waxed canvas, I’m not so sure.

Here’s their website if you want to check them out, lots of cool stuff: https://www.frostriver.com/

I am super impressed by the Leather Milk, though, definitely. I might have to order some of the automobile formula and do the sears in my Z4 they get super filthy.

11. Likes uchinanchu liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    The results look amazing. Good tip, thanks!

(By the way I love the look of aged and weathered leather, but those scratches looked annoying. Great job!)
    It’s funny. I was excited about the bag, and at 10 feet, it looked great. But the scratches made it look like someone who didn’t really pay much attention to it and really just didn’t take care of the bag. Especially the ones on the pockets.

Like I said, after working it, my brother literally thought it was a different bag and then couldn’t tell which was the one I just got and which was the one I already had. I also have a laptop bag from Saddleback—much too small for my needs, and a bit feminine, really. Impulse buy before they raised their prices. I’m going to give it a once over with the leather milk before I sell it—that should recoup a fair bit of the price I paid for the messenger. I’m also going to sell a couple of lesser bags that will help out. I have a first run White Buffalo Republic bag that could use a little love and then a new home and a Fossil I used in law school that I just don’t need anymore. Those two aren’t worth much, but if it puts a little money in my pocket and clears out some clutter, it’s a job well done.

Blog Entries
    The healing balm arrived today. There are a couple of scratches I want to try it out on, but I’m trying to find a good how to video for it.

I’ll also post before and after pictures of the other bags I clean up. I think I’m going to use Formula No.2 on my brother’s Lotuff bag, since it’s three years old and he’s never cleaned or conditioned it (nor is he, if I’m honest, all that careful with it; crazy, since it costs more than both my Saddlebacks combined—he really should take better care of his things).

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I haven’t tried any of the waxed canvas Mountainback stuff. I always felt they were too close to the leather bags in price to be a good value. For waxed canvas, I’m a big fan on Frost a River bags. I have one as a weekend bag/carry-on, and it’s held up really well. They’re less money than Mountainback, handmade in the USA, and also come with a lifetime guarantee. Something like Mountainback’s waxed canvas “Indiana” 10” by 10” gear bag costs $250, whereas my full on carry-on size weekend bag from Frost River was $180–that’s a lot more bag for not a lot of money. And having experienced the workmanship of Frost River firsthand for several years now, I would have a hard time swallowing the Mountainback prices. Plus, waxed canvas is all Frost River does, whereas Saddleback just started doing waxed canvas a couple of years ago. For leather, Saddleback can be the best value out there. For waxed canvas, I’m not so sure.

Here’s their website if you want to check them out, lots of cool stuff: https://www.frostriver.com/

I am super impressed by the Leather Milk, though, definitely. I might have to order some of the automobile formula and do the sears in my Z4 they get super filthy.
    Thanks for the info/link Raza, will def check 'em out!!!

15. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I hit it with the healing balm today, minus one area where it seems I put too much and couldn’t get it to buff out, I think it came out really well. I’ll give it a few hours to dry and see what it looks like.