Likes Likes:  79
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Resurrecting OLD threads... there a PROBLEM?

  1. #1
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561

    Question Resurrecting OLD threads... there a PROBLEM?

    Not that this place is old enough to HAVE any old threads, but, generally speaking. WHY do so many people, - and in some forums, the mods especially - get so annoyed when people resurrect old threads ?

    And if it is THAT annoying, why not lock it?

    I *just* saw one (yet another) such example at the other place, and I thought the mod was rather annoying himself with his expression of annoyance, the crusty dweeb.

    I swear, you'd think somebody woke him up at 3AM and forced him to walk across a football field that was covered in 2 feet of snow just to turn on the vents in an outhouse... AND had to make eggs n toast for strangers.
    Sheesh! What is UP with people?

    Feel free to vent, or enlighten.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Jan 31, 2015 at 06:48 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post

    Feel free to vent, or enlighten.

    and where have YOU been ! Name:  impatientsmilie.gif
Views: 159
Size:  7.9 KB


  3. Likes popoki nui, Nokie liked this post
  4. #3
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    and where have YOU been ! Name:  impatientsmilie.gif
Views: 159
Size:  7.9 KB

    I actually have a life!! Who knew.
    Entertaining a friend from Espana. Fun, but a lot of work actually.

  5. Likes Seriously liked this post
  6. #4
    I think it's not so much the resurrection that is annoying, but the circumstance. For instance, a 3 year old thread is normally resurrected by a member with 30 posts to say "LOL" or "My friend's dad just got a Rolex like that and it's great"
    If someone resurrects a thread with a topical and worthwhile opinion, I'm all for it. It can be a bit testy when the threads are super long though because you don't know/care what's been said before.

  7. Likes jsw41, Nokie liked this post
  8. #5
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I think it's not so much the resurrection that is annoying, but the circumstance. For instance, a 3 year old thread is normally resurrected by a member with 30 posts to say "LOL" or "My friend's dad just got a Rolex like that and it's great"
    If someone resurrects a thread with a topical and worthwhile opinion, I'm all for it. It can be a bit testy when the threads are super long though because you don't know/care what's been said before.

    I still don't get it.
    So what?
    Why not just ignore it?

    And it it really more work for the mods? I cannot imagine why it would be.
    And IF it really is, why not lock it then, if there has been no post after, say, 2 weeks??

  9. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
  10. #6
    Member Teeritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    Posts
    513
    Blog Entries
    3
    I hate resurrected threads. Especially the ones where there's been no activity for three or four years. I dislike reading a new comment and then having to trawl through the rest of the thread to find the relevant comment that the new poster is addressing.

    While I understand the frustration some people feel at reading yet another thread that covers an overdone topic over and over again, i.e. "Which is better, Rolex or Omega?" (usually started by some newbie), I would prefer to see a new thread started because that's when older members will appear with either a link to a similar (or exact same) thread, or a recommendation to try using the 'search' function.

    And that, thrillseekers, is why resurrected threads annoy me so much.

    teeritz

    (IWL Member No. 72)
    **************
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

  11. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Not that this place is old enough to HAVE any old threads, but, generally speaking. WHY do so many people, - and in some forums, the mods especially - get so annoyed when people resurrect old threads ?

    And if it is THAT annoying, why not lock it?

    I *just* saw one (yet another) such example at the other place, and I thought the mod was rather annoying himself with his expression of annoyance, the crusty dweeb.

    I swear, you'd think somebody woke him up at 3AM and forced him to walk across a football field that was covered in 2 feet of snow just to turn on the vents in an outhouse... AND had to make eggs n toast for strangers.
    Sheesh! What is UP with people?

    Feel free to vent, or enlighten.

    especially for you >> http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...er-checking-in

  12. #8
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561
    Juan mo time:
    Why trawl?
    Why not just cheerfully ignore it, and glide by like a UFO over a cow pasture?


    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I hate resurrected threads. Especially the ones where there's been no activity for three or four years. I dislike reading a new comment and then having to trawl through the rest of the thread to find the relevant comment that the new poster is addressing.

    And that, thrillseekers, is why resurrected threads annoy me so much.

  13. #9
    Member Teeritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    Posts
    513
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Juan mo time:
    Why trawl?
    Why not just cheerfully ignore it, and glide by like a UFO over a cow pasture?
    You're kidding! They glide over cow pastures!?

    teeritz

    (IWL Member No. 72)
    **************
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

  14. #10
    Happily unadjusted 😜 popoki nui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vancouver Island.
    Posts
    4,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    You're kidding! They glide over cow pastures!?
    Udderly fascinating.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen



    Like IWL on Facebook!


  15. Likes DJW GB, CamB, Seriously, JAGtime, jsw41 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us