Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13x??

13x??

How's that for a cryptic title to suck people in...

I don't really have a grail watch, but there are a couple in the "I'd love to have that but no way I could bring myself to pay that much for a watch" category. One that I love is this Vacheron Constantin (all pictures borrowed):

Name:  vacheron-constantin-patrimony-small-seconds-01.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  50.1 KB Name:  Vacheron Back.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  6.9 KB

Beautiful, incredibly well made, but it costs 13x what this one does:

Attachment 10326 Name:  Nomos Orion Gray Dial 2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  39.7 KB Name:  Nomos Orion Gray Dial Back.jpeg
Views: 183
Size:  68.5 KB

Now, I'm not saying Nomos' craftsmanship, sophistication and build quality is up to VC standards, but it sure ain't shabby, either. The Nomos is $2620, the VC is $34,000. So, what do you all think? Is the VC worth 13x the Nomos?

2. Likes JAGtime, FuzzyB liked this post
    Yes. I think it is.

As things get better and better the cost of each % of improvement always increases.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

4. Likes mlcor liked this post
    That VC is one of my all time favorite watches. If I was ever in a position to pay the asking price, I wouldn't think twice.

I have a Nomos Orion but the VC is in a whole other league. 13x better? How much an object is valued is a personal question, but I would probably say yes to this one. The finishing and design are head and shoulders above the Nomos.

6. Likes mlcor liked this post
    I'd almost pay the extra $31,380 to not have the small seconds subdial look like it's trying to spoon the central hands.

8. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I'd almost pay the extra $31,380 to not have the small seconds subdial look like it's trying to spoon the central hands.
    But maybe if it succeeded, you'd get a little 31mm Nomos in your watch drawer the next morning.

10. Likes Domo, FuzzyB, Perseus, Bwana liked this post
    It looks worthy of the price consideration IF the small seconds sub-dial was better proportioned, IMHO.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I can't afford either, but if you can't centre the sub-dial between the hour/minute hand and the outer edge of the dial, I would prefer a centre seconds hand. Therefore VC wins it for me.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

$31K gets you some applied indices. On the Orions only the date version has applied indices (and an undomed dial).

I wouldn't. For that price I'll go for a Calatrava 5296G and that Nomos, with change to spare.

Interesting question and the only real answer is to some it is and to others it isn't. The overwhelming majority of the general public would say it most certainly isn't .
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1