Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another Middle Class

Blog Entries

Another Middle Class

I guess I should be posting on the Zenith forum, but I enjoy pocket watches as well. I mean, where can you get a movement that looks better than a 15,000USD Patek movement for less than 300USD?

But here is a newer pocketwatch, but as it was most likely made in the late 50s, maybe early 60s?, it qualifies for vintage. I've had it for a few years, but doubt I spent more than 80USD on it.
    Name:  Wyler Dial.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  33.0 KB

An interesting, if little pocketwatch. It is smaller than the popular 16s American pocketwatches. I would dare say that if it were made today, you might find it in a wristwatch such as my Glycine Incursor.

This little Wyler has some fabulous marketing. Chronometer indeed. By most standards, it would fail as you see in the picture below. Fifteen jewels? That is not found in any high grade watch. But it does have a pseudo-micrometer regulator and it is adjusted to four positions. That is not half bad. But it does make me wonder why the effort on a 15 jewel watch?

A little thing to note. While the bushing is made of brass, it does appear that the jewels are in gold settings.
    Name:  Wyler Back c.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  62.7 KB

Cheers,

Dan

Blog Entries
    I would have guessed early 1940s but I'm not a real expert on the Swiss pieces. 15 jewels was common in the 30s and 40s Swiss watches and I don't see any evidence of shock protection such as a 1960s watch would have. I think the Swiss would have figured 15 jewels was plenty and it would make more sense to spend the cash to adjust the watch.
    Very nice one though. Haven't seen a Wyler PW before.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Blog Entries
    You may correct as to the age. As I now think about it, it seems like the Swiss moved out of the screwed jewel settings that made the American pocketwatches so attractive to me much sooner.

Dan

I second Ray,it's an earlier watch.Wyler patented the 'incaflex' (1927 ) way before the incabloc (1934),and the balance looks like incaflex ( the photo just overr-runs it,not sure though ).Certainly pre-WW II but how early don't know,could be anywhere between mid'20s to late '30s.Is the case gold and does it have any Swiss hallmarks? That could help us narrowing the date.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Еmre View Post
    I second Ray,it's an earlier watch.Wyler patented the 'incaflex' (1927 ) way before the incabloc (1934),and the balance looks like incaflex ( the photo just overr-runs it,not sure though ).Certainly pre-WW II but how early don't know,could be anywhere between mid'20s to late '30s.Is the case gold and does it have any Swiss hallmarks? That could help us narrowing the date.
    It's a Geneva Watch Case Co., 20 (I think) microns. with a S/N of 931355. As you can tell from the pics, it is a thin, decorative case.

Thanks,

Dan

I am not aware of Wyler serial numbers data base,thought maybe if it's solid gold the poincon de maitre might give us clue.