Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you recognise one of us?

How do you recognise one of us?

Inspired by this thread...

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?t=2284

We all watch hunt in the wild, but how do you recognise one of "us" in the wild,

My theory is a tasteful or expensive watch is no sign of someone who really appreciates a time piece

As an example my brother owns a navitimer but has me real understanding of what it is.

My theory therefore is that if I encounter someone wearing, say, a vostok then he/she must be a watch nut due to the fact that your not picking up a vostok in Argos or down H Samuels.

This of course goes for various brands,

Any thoughts?

2. Likes is that my watch, Der Amf, scottjc liked this post
    I think you've summed it up pretty perfectly, if someone wears something out of the ordinary then it's a promising sign.
    If I see someone more regularly, however, and they wear more than one watch I will generally make a comment to see if I can draw them onto the subject...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

4. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    One guy I work with occasionally (who has a couple of Panerai) told me that another of our sometime colleagues was into watches. Next time I saw him, he was wearing a Komandiskie.....

6. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    One guy I work with occasionally (who has a couple of Panerai) told me that another of our sometime colleagues was into watches. Next time I saw him, he was wearing a Komandiskie.....
    if you don't know about the secret handshake, you are NOT one of us Sir, no matter how shiny your gold medal is ...

I can tell by where their eyes go first, when in close contact.
    Last edited by Nokie; Feb 2, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

9. Likes Kevinw, Chronopolitano liked this post
    If I saw anything you can't get on the high street I would be sure. A Vostok, yes, but also a Seiko 007, or even a Parnis would show they had gone to some effort to get something different
    Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

My watch blog - Wristwatch Review UK | Seagull1963.co.uk

11. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    A 007? Interesting never thought of that

I think another sure sign is the guy who is taking a photo of his wrist despite being sat opposite a beautiful lady in a restaurant

I was in a medical care team meeting last week with a bunch of the head physicians at the children's hospital. The Neuro got paged to leave and on his way out I stopped him ask what he was wearing. I'd seen him wear some decent pieces before, but couldn't identify the 6:00 subdial from across this huge table the whole meeting and it was driving me nuts.

Suppose I should ask for the transcript so I can catch up on the meeting

15. Likes Kevinw, Martin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    A 007? Interesting never thought of that
    You can only get a 007 if you know your stuff, 'normal' dealers don't sell them - in fact any affordable auto watch is often a good tell. Of course those who can afford Rolexes etc. will have autos but 'normal people' only tend to deviate from Quartz if they are enthusiasts.
    Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

My watch blog - Wristwatch Review UK | Seagull1963.co.uk

17. Likes Kevinw liked this post