Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Seem to be gathering vintage hand-wound watches.. Sentimental pieces

Seem to be gathering vintage hand-wound watches.. Sentimental pieces

We seem to be gathering a nice little collection of hand-wound watches handed down through the family. They are all very wearable, and good fun. I have left them as un-restored as possible to retain their history and character. They are the start of a great collection to hand to my daughter, along with my 21st birthday watch among others, but in the meantime we are enjoying the watches and the memories they hold.

Some of you may remember this gold Shockmaster from previous posts. It was my dad's 21st birthday present in '61 from his mum and dad. He died last year.

His dad, my grandad, died in '84. This was a present from my nan in '65 to him on their 25th wedding anniversary.

And this one belonged to either my nan (who died last month) or my grandad. Not sure which, but my wife is wearing it on its new strap.

All are keeping good time and run reliably.

I have a couple of sentimental pieces of my own to add to these. My 21st birthday present from my mum and dad and a present from my daughter on the day of her birth.

All together I think it's the making of a great family set. I know my daughter wants a gold watch for her 21st to add to the tradition, and there's always my present to my wife on our wedding day too...

Last edited by OrangeSport; Feb 5, 2015 at 05:47 AM.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

I'm really sad for your loss, but I find it great that you inherited many watches from your family. These have a special value, I'm sure, and they all have stories to tell.

I love that tradition. You have to keep it going, no doubt!

Thanks for sharing.
    ~Daniel~

3. Likes OrangeSport, JAGtime liked this post
    Interesting history and important stories that accompany these watches. It is clear you treasure them, and it sounds like your daughter is ready to carry on the tradition. Thanks for sharing.

5. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Very touching stories; it's so nice to see these treasured watches live on in honour of their previous owners. And they're all lovely watches in their own right.

Wonderful thread, thanks OrangeSport.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

7. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Thanks for the comments. It's also nice to see that these are the watches my daughter is looking forward (perhaps not quite the right term) to inheriting, rather than our Rolex models etc. Although she does seem to want to continue the tradition with an all gold Rolex for her 21st! Kids!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

9. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post