Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

  1. #1
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561

    LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

    What's the big deal?
    If it is so great, why do they not revive it?

    It seems to me to be another case of mob pedantry in action.

  2. #2
    Loves to yap about quartz I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Hasselt-Limburg-Flanders-Belgium
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    What's the big deal?
    If it is so great, why do they not revive it?

    It seems to me to be another case of mob pedantry in action.
    it's revived, Swatch uses the new version allready in the "Right track" chrono. I'm sure it will come to other models from the Swatch group sooner or later.
    The movement is now called ETA C01.211

  3. Likes Chronopolitano, FuzzyB liked this post
  4. #3
    Member Steppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, Uk
    Posts
    1,911
    Which one? Theres quite a number of them isn't there?

    Or do you mean the "iconic" one used in the Omega Speedmaster?

    Either way I don't know a lot about them either so would be happy to hear other replies.

    * No help to your post whatsoever !

  5. #4
    Dinger of Hum Chronopolitano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chronopolis
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    it's revived, Swatch uses the new version allready in the "Right track" chrono. I'm sure it will come to other models from the Swatch group sooner or later.
    The movement is now called ETA C01.211
    What's that?

  6. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
  7. #5
    Loves to yap about quartz I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Hasselt-Limburg-Flanders-Belgium
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    What's that?
    it's the watch model/name. This model is used to launch the movement. Swatch-group pre-releases a lot of new movements in the Swatch models. they give no information about their movements, and usually discontinue the watches after 1 season or semester. If you follow their models you can do great deals

    svgk407.jpg
    this is the right-track, it has a Lemania 5100 (v2.0) / ETA C01.211 movement with a 7750 layout of the subdials

  8. Likes Chronopolitano, FuzzyB liked this post
  9. #6
    Hangaround member Fantasio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    60 degrees North
    Posts
    853
    So no central minute counter, day display and 24-hour display? Does not make it a 5100 v.2 to me.

    What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume if used in Swatches and Tissots.

    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    Lemania 5100 (v2.0) / ETA C01.211 movement with a 7750 layout of the subdials
    Last edited by Fantasio; Feb 5, 2015 at 03:56 PM.
    Cheers, M

  10. #7

    LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    So no central minute counter, day display and 24-hour display? Does not make it a 5100 v.2 to me.

    What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume.
    It's a cheaper and more modern alternative to the 7750. The new version can be found in some Tissot models. It may also have been used in a Hamilton model but I would have to look that up.

    For example, I bought my Swatch Right Track for about $200 new. It would be hard to find any 7750 movement for that price, new or used.

    I would have loved to see a return of the central minute counter but for the price I can't complain.

  11. #8
    Loves to yap about quartz I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Hasselt-Limburg-Flanders-Belgium
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    So no central minute counter, day display and 24-hour display? Does not make it a 5100 v.2 to me.
    to develop the movement they started with the Lemania 5100, that's a fact, not a personal opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume.
    They have chosen the Lemania movement becouse it already used plastic pieces in it, so yes, lower the productioncost seems a valid reason IMO

  12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
  13. #9

    LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Which one? Theres quite a number of them isn't there?

    Or do you mean the "iconic" one used in the Omega Speedmaster?

    Either way I don't know a lot about them either so would be happy to hear other replies.

    * No help to your post whatsoever !
    Lemania made several great movements. The 5100 seems to get the most attention, but the Omega Speedy Pro is powered by a movement based on the Lemania 1873. That is a solid movement by almost everyone's standards.

    My favorite Lemania is the 8810. For a while it held the record for thinnest automatic movement or thinnest automatic movement with a date. Several manufacturers have used that movement, including Breguet, which owns the Lemania brand now.

    The 8810 is not only remarkable for the thinness of the movement, it is 2.95mm thick, but it is also a twin barrel design. The twin barrels are arranged to provided a flatter power curve and improve isochronism.

    I have that movement in my RGM TZLE and it is impressively thin considering it has a date and full size rotor.

    Here's a photo of my watches with the 8810. One with a gold rotor and one with stainless steel.


  14. Likes I-B, Steppy, DJW GB, Chronopolitano, Domo, Nutty28, DM71 liked this post
  15. #10
    Hangaround member Fantasio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    60 degrees North
    Posts
    853
    I refuse to change a good opinion because of mere facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    to develop the movement they started with the Lemania 5100, that's a fact, not a personal opinion.
    Cheers, M

  16. Likes Chronopolitano, Martin, DM71, Perseus liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us