Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

hang on, isn't/wasn't the 2892 derived from a Longines?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Yep. What Rick "the man who knows everything there is that is tangentially related to Ebel" Denney said.
    Ha! Well, research has to start somewhere. Turns out, nearly all watchmaking in the upper Jura is tangentially related to Ebel. I thought I was researching one obscure little company and it ended up being fairly central to a big piece of the industry.

Rick "just getting started" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

3. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    hang on, isn't/wasn't the 2892 derived from a Longines?
    Don't think so. It was derived from the Eterna caliber 1466U, which was used in the Eterna 3000, starting in 1962 or 1963. ETA and Eterna split up in the early 30's and independently developed movements after that, though they collaborated on basic designs and on some movements. But this one was all Eterna originally. It rolled into an ETA offering (the first 2892) in 1976, two or three years before Longines came out with the 990, and contemporaneous with the Longines 980 (also a twin-barrel design, but not as thin). The pictured Eterna 1466U (from Roland Ranfft's database) was in a 1966 Eternamatic.

When the 1466U came out, it was quite thin (3.65 mm) for an automatic with center seconds and date. It's still thin.

Rick "not pretty enough to be a Longines, but still one of the great movements" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Feb 5, 2015 at 09:35 PM.

5. Likes I-B, FuzzyB, Chronopolitano liked this post
    ...maybe it was a chronograph I was thinking of...

I remember something about it starting off not having any shock protection on the balance when it started off life; probably not that helpful a reference but might give an indicator as to what kind of period that was in.

No, the 1466U used the Eterna-U shock protection from the start; it was developed in the early 60's. (The 2824 is an older ETA-designed family, though all ETA and Eterna movements used the same basic winding system.) The one Ranfft pictured has KIF shock protection.

Rick "not that you can see it" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Feb 5, 2015 at 09:40 PM.

...dammit...
    it's going to bug me until I remember which movement it is/was.

I'm sure Mr Ebelmeister Denney has been here before , but just throwing it in for the discussion:
    http://www.thepurists.com/watch/feat...hinesrpt1.html

10. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Here's a Concord Mariner from a few years ago, <10 mm, 200m water resistance. Didn't even need to use an 8810; this one has a 2892 (also quite thin at only 0.64mm thicker than the 8810).

Rick "don't have an edge shot handy, though" Denney
    I can't get passed the octagonal case on the mariner. The Zenith Rainbow Elite has been on my radar for a while though. It clocks in at a svelte 9mm. The pre-Elite versions were based on the 2892 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I can't get passed the octagonal case on the mariner. The Zenith Rainbow Elite has been on my radar for a while though. It clocks in at a svelte 9mm. The pre-Elite versions were based on the 2892 as well.

Nothing wrong with that choice, but it will make a bigger wallet hole. I think I paid about half a kilobuck for that Concord, as deeply discounted NOS. No way I could pass that up.

The Mariner is 12-sided, not octagonal, and, as in Chronopolis, that makes all the difference . The bracelet is particularly nice, too.

Rick "who wears the Mariner much more than he expected to" Denney

13. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I'm sure Mr Ebelmeister Denney has been here before , but just throwing it in for the discussion:
    http://www.thepurists.com/watch/feat...hinesrpt1.html
    But of course!

Rick "that was the reason for searching out a cal. 80 1911 Senior" Denney

15. Likes Seriously liked this post