Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Talk to me about Lum-Tec

Talk to me about Lum-Tec

Several years ago I picked up an M40 Vintage. I had just gotten it and wore it to a GTG here in the Baltimore area where another WIS pulled out his Panerai and I immediately unbonded with my M40 when I put the Panerai on. I wore it for a while and eventually sold it.

I thought the quality on my Lum Tec was only OK. the case was nicely brushed but the hands looked like the lume was just painted over the edges of the hand.

But despite that I like them. Though I've never owned another. So tell me friends, about your experiences with Lum Tec and which are your favorites and which you feel are best well done.

Thanks!

Dan

I only have one so I can only comment on that. It's one of the Cobalts and the machining is a little rough on the back of the lugs but given that they were working with Cobalt Chromium I think I can forgive them. The finish on the rest is excellent. The cutaway 3D dial is a highlight, as is the lume of course. The movement in this one is a fairly run-of-the-mill Miyota 9015. Nothing wrong with it and it keeps good time but I've discovered that it's not ideal for my rather sedentary lifestyle. I guess it's the uni-directional winding. The crystal is double AR coated but I don't find it quite as crystal clear as other watches I've had with double AR.

I like the watch because it's very different to the rest of my watches and I definitely get my money's worth of fun out of it. Just like with the Pams it's highly strap friendly which is half the fun but it otherwise wouldn't be fair to compare it with a Panerai.

3. Likes Bwana liked this post
    I've had three of them. My first was the M1. It was the first model they made. It was a quartz chronograph so it had less of the Panerai look than some of their other models that followed.

The next model I had was a M8, I believe. That was a tungsten carbide cased model with carbon fiber dial. Talk about a heavy chunk of metal. It wasn't bad but I didn't bond with it and moved it along in short order.

The final model was a C4. I was initially excited about it because it was smaller than their other models and had an old Russian movement in it. It was supposed to have an 80 hour powers reserve and be virtually indestructible but they couldn't figure out the movement and shipped it with a much smaller power reserve. After all the hype I lost interest in it before I had even received it.

To sum up my Lum-Tec experience I would have to say I left the brand wishing I liked it more. I thought they had potential and was willing to give them a try but I always came away a bit disappointed.

That said, I think the newer models look nice and I like what they are doing mixing up the lume colors. I doubt I will own another Lum-Tec though.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    got a lumtec 24 tungsten carbide in a trade
    felt the quality could be a lot better
    wasn't too impressed with the lume either
    never wore/sized it and sold it as it came

Name:  Lumtec M24 Tungsten Carbide 061-175 07_resize.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  35.2 KB Name:  Lumtec M24 Tungsten Carbide 061-175 03_resize.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  48.1 KB

These comments make me feel better about my experience. That said, I keep wanting to love em. The B1 with the Russian movement ways sticks in my brain. Maybe I'll have to try a B series someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had two. One a bull head quartz chrono and the other a M series with the Miyota 9015. I don't like the way rotor would take off and spin freely and loudly in one direction, but that's not really Lum-Tecs fault. I thought the watches were fine, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck with a Hamilton or something.

PS. The lume wasn't better than my Planet Ocean.

Wait Lum-Tec used Russian movements? I am kinda interested now.

Yup several of their earlier models had russians in em

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Wait Lum-Tec used Russian movements? I am kinda interested now.

My experience....they have good lume. End of report.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx