Likes Likes:  20

View Poll Results: Do you like wire lugs?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 40.00%
  • no

12 60.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wire lugs

I think wire lugs are interesting, and I associate them with the transition from pocket watches to wrist watches. So, I think they're pretty cool from a historical perspective. Historically, they also remind me of many of the trench watches from the WWI era.

Aesthetically, I think the most pleasing use of wire lugs was (and continues to be) in conjunction with a cushion case -- a style that was especially prevalent in the twenties and thirties, and which I think still looks good to this day.

So, do we need more wire lugs? Well, no, I don't think so. But, do I like them? When paired with a cushion case -- absolutely!

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Hell to the yes!

I love the old wire lug Radimors and trench watches. I am planning on converting an old Moljina pocketwatch into a trench watch sometime in the not too distant future.

Not a big fan of wire lugs...don't hate 'em though.

I think they look good on a Panerai Radiomir.

6. Likes Jazzmaster, Bwana, Chronopolitano, Bidle liked this post
    I'm a little bit obsessed with the Navy Pioneer

I have a couple... but they are indeed a pain to find quality straps for. Usually you can only find the cheap ones with fold over cheap metal 'tabs'. So, yeah..., I guess I do not like them.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy G-Schlocks.

Okay..., Charging Paddles... CLEAR!! BZZZZT... Another Thread Revived!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹
    I'm Just Here For The Comic Relief. Nothing I Do or Say Needs to be Taken Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
    I have a couple... but they are indeed a pain to find quality straps for. Usually you can only find the cheap ones with fold over cheap metal 'tabs'. So, yeah..., I guess I do not like them.
    What are the attachment options?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What are the attachment options?
    One piece straps (ie NATOs or things like this http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/strapdetails.html ), rivet style like old fliegers, the fold over metal tabs or make your own and make it on the watch if they truly are fixed wire lugs.

Most of the modern wire lugs that I have seen are made for spring bars or there are screws on the underside of the watch that allows you to slide the whole lug off.

Yuck. Sorry, but it makes most watches look a piece of campfire cookware.....
    Last edited by Nokie; Feb 11, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Pain in the arse to change straps on.
    But I grudgingly accept them when they are the ONLY possible design choice on a watch. Like the Radiomir.