Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A simple question...

A simple question...

Why is it that every dressy gold watch (other than white gold) comes on a brown strap? If you are wearing it with a typical suit, or even a tux, aren't they going to most likely be a shade of gray or dark blue, or black for a tux??

2. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    My guess is that a brown strap looks more appealing to consumers on yellow or rose gold while at the store. Black on gold seems a bit too much of a contrast and the warm hues are not pulled out of the gold like they are with brown.

Side by side, I wouldn't be surprised if a buyer would pick a brown strap over the black strap on gold 9 times out of 10. In actual use, the numbers may even out a bit, but the watch brands only care about the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Side by side, I wouldn't be surprised if a buyer would pick a brown strap over the black strap on gold 9 times out of 10. In actual use, the numbers may even out a bit, but the watch brands only care about the sale.
    Excellent reasoning.
    Most people are unadventurous in their style. and tend to shy away from strong contrasts.

But I think a gentleman would have two in gold, one with a brown, and one with either a black or dark grey strap. I do, even though I am neither gentle nor a man.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

5. Likes vinylgreek, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Interesting question. Yesterday, I changed a brown strap for a black strap on a vintage gold watch and everyone in the shop (the owner and other two customers) gave me that look: blasphemy! Didn't care a bit, though

I don't like brown straps on gold watches; it's a combo that I see as an uncomfortable tonal redundancy. But I may be alone, here

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Interesting question. Yesterday, I changed a brown strap for a black strap on a vintage gold watch and everyone in the shop (the owner and other two customers) gave me that look: blasphemy! Didn't care a bit, though

I don't like brown straps on gold watches; it's a combo that I see as an uncomfortable tonal redundancy. But I may be alone, here
    You're not alone, I agree with Chrono, I would either like to have one on a brown strap (which I do) and one on a black strap (which I don't), or a second one that's white gold, always seems to come on a black strap. Gold with brown can work with a dark blue suit if you're wearing it with brown shoes and belt, but I just think gold with brown strap doesn't work with a dark gray suit or a tux.

Certainly it might look better in the store, but don't people think about what they're going to wear it with? 99.99% of people aren't even going to think about changing straps...

8. Likes vinylgreek liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Because it's an industry thing. Gold watches and brown straps are two 'warm' colours that tend to complement each other, and so most brands will pair a gold watch with a brown strap.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

Certainly it might look better in the store, but don't people think about what they're going to wear it with? 99.99% of people aren't even going to think about changing straps...
    That may be the point. It seems that a number of people rarely see the watch/ strap combo in a broader context.
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 11, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Savagely Average
    I thought the Calatrava came on black leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    I thought the Calatrava came on black leather?
    I may be wrong, but I believe the pink gold case comes on black leather and the yellow gold case comes on brown leather.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe the pink gold case comes on black leather and the yellow gold case comes on brown leather.
    If so, it's certainly the exception to the rule...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk