Likes Likes:  92
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technos vs Mickey: vote for the winner of the "Get More For A Score" £20 Challenge!

Question Technos vs Mickey: vote for the winner of the "Get More For A Score" £20 Challenge!

On the Get More For A Score thread, ten watches, all bought for under £20 (or $30) have been in competition against one another.

Now we're down to the final two. Winner of the first half was....

TECHNOS AUTOMATIC

Smeagal bought this Swiss made watch for £10. It came on its original bracelet and runs an ETA 2789 - 21,600 with quickset day and date

Name:  score t1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  score t2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  28.5 KB

The other finalist, winner of the second half is Blanchy's

MICKEY MOUSE LORUS

Blanchy paid just $4 for this, and wisely spent a bit more of the permitted money on a tube of Polywatch, and added a spare strap he already had

Name:  score m1.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  score m2.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  51.1 KB

Here's a photo of how it looked before Blanchy received it:

Name:  score m3.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  56.9 KB

Mickey had a stern challenge from a Rado, but the gamble Scottjc took hit a bump in the road: the movement is clogged up with gasket, and one of the rules was that the watch had to be working.

----------------------------------------------
    Please, cast your votes! Please make life easy for me by including either TECHNOS or MICKEY in capitals in your post
    Last edited by Der Amf; Feb 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    TECHNOS for me. The MM is cute, and the restoration job excellent, but the Technos is a better watch on every level.

hmmm my answer

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes scottjc, CamB liked this post

7. Likes JAGtime liked this post

Come on mickey
    Check you my youtube channel - Blanchy Talks Watches

9. Likes JAGtime, is that my watch, Der Amf liked this post
    TECHNOS for me. This challenge was all about finding a bargain. A diamond in the rough. The Mickey watch is iconic but not necessarily a bargain. The Technos was a great find for an unbelievable price.

If you look at it from another perspective you could go out and buy a Mickey watch today for not much more than the limit of the challenge. Blanchy did a great job recognizing the potential of the Mickey, but to buy a watch like the Technos today for the challenge limit would be next to impossible.

TECHNOS is the winner in my eyes.

11. Likes is that my watch, Der Amf, scottjc liked this post

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    it has to be Technos for me

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    MICKEY.

The Technos is lovely and all but it's just a shade (sorry Smeagal) boring....it could be any Piece from the era, it smacks of seiko 5....not a bad thing. Don't get me wrong it's a watch Id be proud to wear, but it's just not got any X factor

My biggest problem with Mickey is it's Quartz.
    But let's put that to the side
    Ignoring Mickey, there's a beautiful bright vibrant face with lovely numerals.
    The case is elegant and non obtrusive, pretty and understated allowing Mickey centre stage. For a cheap watch it's well thought out and organised
    It pulls of what is a cluttered face without looking cluttered, and that's an impressive trick

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    MICKEY.

The Technos is lovely and all but it's just a shade (sorry Smeagal) boring....it could be any Piece from the era, it smacks of seiko 5....not a bad thing. Don't get me wrong it's a watch Id be proud to wear, but it's just not got any X factor

My biggest problem with Mickey is it's Quartz.
    But let's put that to the side
    Ignoring Mickey, there's a beautiful bright vibrant face with lovely numerals.
    The case is elegant and non obtrusive, pretty and understated allowing Mickey centre stage. For a cheap watch it's well thought out and organised
    It pulls off what is a cluttered face without looking cluttered, and that's an impressive trick
    Insightful