Likes Likes:  4

Thread: **** Who made the first mechanical alarm ****

**** Who made the first mechanical alarm ****

I was trying to find some info on a watch and happen on to a paragraph " Vulcain were a noted brand who made the first modern wrist alarm (the "Cricket" - now once again in production)"

I had always thought it had been the Russians that had as I got a very nice 1950's / 60's Russian alarm so thought it was them as had seen other alarms but from later from other company's / country's so what was the the first one then .. what order was they produce in and any one got any while we are at it....

Got a few Russian alarms or had shall I say sold some had some for parts too but at the moment got two one I want to say is from the 50's / 60's and Russian and another from the 70's also Russian even did a thread in the Russian sub-forum on them.. **** Lets talk alarms ****

found this that states it was Eterna.http://wornandwound.com/the-under-ap...d-alarm-watch/

Alarm watches have been around since the early part of the 1900’s when Eterna first patented an alarm wristwatch in 1908. That patent was put into use when the watch was manufactured and sold in 1914.

www.timepiecechronicle.com/features/2017/1/17/full-alert-a-history-of-alarm-watches

Although credit for the birth of the modern day wrist alarm goes to Eterna, it wasn’t until the Vulcain Cricket line in the 1940’s that the function would gain in popularity. Earlier offerings were either too complicated, inaccurate or just not loud enough. Vulcain was able to overcome these shortcomings to produce more desirable alarm watches. This lead to Jaeger-LeCoultre getting in on the game in the late 1940’s and progressing the style with the development of the Memovox, the first automatic watch with an alarm.

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes CFR, DJW GB, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Back in 2012 I was in Australia for a month, and had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Sam Tang (Seele on WUS) who had done quite a bit of research on these questions. From him I learned that the Vulcan and other 1940-decade alarm watches used a movement by A. Schild, which was licensed both to Jeager - LeCoultre and to Poljot. While JLC made several improvements on the Schild design (which presumably also meant they could stop paying a license fee), Poljot kept the design pretty much the same, and eventually just stopped paying the license.

Alas I blame Sam for introducing me to the 2209, and giving me access to his special connection in the U.K. where one can obtain ultra-flat original crystals for them. He also told me about a recently discovered box of minty NOS Poljot alarms which were selling dirt cheap. Of course that's one of the watches that came and then went.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Always a fountain of information, you are.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.