Likes Likes:  2,350
Page 298 of 525 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 5241

Thread: The Chat Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Walmart pays a fair wage and offers excellent insurance and retirement plans. My only quibble with them is their overuse of parttime employees.

Their lower prices and wide variety of merchandise do bring a higher standard of living to many lower income families than they might otherwise afford.

On the negative side, those same lower prices can cause difficulties for smaller local stores in direct competition to Walmart who cannot match them on price.

Jeannie

The biggest issue with Walmart that I have is that they have too much power as a buyer. Any retailer with so much power that they can dictate price points with manufacturers to the point of almost putting them out of business really messes with competition in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The biggest issue with Walmart that I have is that they have too much power as a buyer. Any retailer with so much power that they can dictate price points with manufacturers to the point of almost putting them out of business really messes with competition in the market.
    Free market. Target is their competition, and has forced them to reconsider some of their practices (not to mention quality).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Free market. Target is their competition, and has forced them to reconsider some of their practices (not to mention quality).
    Free market my ass. What you're talking about isn't the free market anyway. Sellers aren't supposed to dictate demand, which is what Walmart has the power to do (or at least did 10 years ago when I studied them and when they almost put Rubbermaid out of business).

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Free market my ass. What you're talking about isn't the free market anyway. Sellers aren't supposed to dictate demand, which is what Walmart has the power to do (or at least did 10 years ago when I studied them and when they almost put Rubbermaid out of business).
    I don't disagree with you on Walmart's questionable business practices; however, that is the reality of globalization and scale.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Meh - duplication of some stuff is inevitable.
    I agree

6. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Here's what now looked like, 30 years ago

30 years ago was 1985...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    30 years ago was 1985...
    Well, actually 31 years as it is the cover of a book from 1984 (and it's not definitely 2015, but probably around now)

Blog Entries
    68 high, but it's supposed to rain. Still, should get some top down time in.

Hold on a minute, where's Der Amf?