Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite style pictures thread

Favorite style pictures thread

It doesn't matter what era the picture is from, but post your favorite style pictures. Bonus points for badassery.

I'll start with Il Gattopardo.

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Chalky would like to talk to you about bow ties and bookcases:

4. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Kate Hepburn would like to talk to you about pinstripes and collar pins.

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Modern photos

Name:  9269Militaryjkt1165Web.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  63.5 KB

And, when you need to look a little sharper...

Name:  IMG_0226.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  61.7 KB
    both pics courtesy of www.thesartorialist.com (Scott Schuman, you're a legend)

And vintage

Name:  Noel Coward in a polo coat.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  48.5 KB Noel Coward

Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  51.5 KB Paul Newman (because sometimes, all you need is a white shirt, black pants and knitted tie)

And, of course...

Name:  Annex - Grant, Cary_13.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  51.7 KB Mr. Cary Grant, making it all look easy.

I would add almost every suit seen in Mad Men and Magic City. As well as the entire Wardrobe off the Warner Bros. lot throughout the 1940s and Connery's suits from the first three Bond films. I think that covers everything.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

8. Likes M. Montaigne, JAGtime liked this post
    Sailing in style.

10. Likes gnuyork, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    Modern photos
    Matt Bomer reconciles modern and old school quite well:

Double breasted awesomeness:

Wayfarers and repp ties:

Summer style:

Last edited by M. Montaigne; Feb 16, 2015 at 12:57 AM.

12. Likes Rusty liked this post
    ...Connery's suits from the first three Bond films.

Connery in a Nehru suit.

And of course, the man himself.

Even Nehru himself didn't always wear a Nehru jacket.

The nexus of cultures - Nehru jacket, Gandhi cap, and a cashmere wool overcoat.

And of course, any post is incomplete without a picture of a watch. Back when Rolexes were cool.

14. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Matt Bomer reconciles modern and old school quite well:

Double breasted awesomeness:

He's got too many patterns going on for my liking in this first pic. Might be conservative of me, but I'd have gone for a solid colour with the shirt. I will admit that I don't follow every (if any) fashion trend that appears. I had every issue of US GQ magazine going back to 1990 and it was dizzying to see trends come and go with such alarming regularity. I consider ties too thin right now, with tie bars measuring an inch-an-a-half.
    And don't even get me started on the sad state of current trench-coat lengths.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

16. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    He's got too many patterns going on for my liking in this first pic. Might be conservative of me, but I'd have gone for a solid colour with the shirt. I will admit that I don't follow every (if any) fashion trend that appears. I had every issue of US GQ magazine going back to 1990 and it was dizzying to see trends come and go with such alarming regularity. I consider ties too thin right now, with tie bars measuring an inch-an-a-half.
    And don't even get me started on the sad state of current trench-coat lengths.
    I'm quite conservative in my style as well, current fashion notwithstanding.

However, I would disagree with the above pic. His pants and his jacket are already solid, and adding a solid shirt on top would look.. boring (especially given his character). Given that it's a double breasted suit, he needed something to offset the "stuffiness".

He's got a pin dot tie that stands out in "3D" from the shirt -- although I do think the way the picture was taken, the shirt pattern looks "shiny". I'm not happy with the pocket square, but I think that just shows that it's an "action shot", and not posed if you will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Connery in a Nehru suit.

Yes, but Bond didn't choose this outfit. His own clothes (light blue Polo shirt, light blue slim-fit khaki-type pants) were contaminated with radioactive crap, so Bond is given this outfit to wear.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)