Likes Likes:  0

Thread: thoughts on Puerto Rico?

thoughts on Puerto Rico?

It is very cold here and my golf clubs are getting itchy. Me and some friends are discussing a golf getaway in March, and PR is on the consideration plate as it is somewhere none of us have been. Looking at staying at the El Conquistador, and playing their course as well as both over at the Grande Rio. Also puts me in good distance to San Juan to see.

Anyone with experience? Specifically or generally.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

My wife and I began and ended a cruise there a number of years ago. We spent three days driving around and sightseeing with some locals we befriended on the cruise and saw a beautiful tropical island. Sort of like South Florida but completely surrounded by water.

I'd recommend the Trump resort -- great golf courses, and terrific treatment.

I took a vacation there in December. Stayed at a small inn in Luquillo and had a blast. El Conquistador would put you close to the snorkeling charters and luminescent bay. El Yunque, the rainforest is probably a 15-20 minute drive away. The kiosks in Luquillo are worth a stop as well. That's all I can speak about, but I loved it and will be back someday.

I know I can't wait to visit there,,,looks fantastic

We rented an apartment in Old San Juan for a month last summer. MrsO and the kids were there the whole time, me for a shorter period.
    We all had a fantastic time, the old town was great some fantastic restaurants and nightlife. We had a couple of nights out in Coronado.
    The Plaza las Americas mall is great for shopping.
    I can't help with golf information personally but I know a few golfers who have been if you have any specific questions I can ask for you.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Good info, all. I'm a big time snorkeller, so I will certainly heed that advice. We generally try to get 2 rounds/day in on these trips, but if everyone wants to burn a day so we can see San Juan, I'll be making an appearance at the beach.

While not negative, I didn't have an overly positive experience at the Trump Dump in Doral, FL (the golf was awesome though) so the courses he has in PR are on the consideration place, but not the resort. The El Conquistador has overwhelmingly positive reviews anywhere you read about it, and it looks to be in a better location for us.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

When I was there a local told me the best place to go snorkeling was Vieques. You'll have to catch a ferry out there, but it is fairly close to El Conquistador. The charter I was on went to Icacos and I was impressed but it was also my first time. The local said Icacos was good, but Vieques is the best.