Likes Likes:  881
Page 121 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121
Results 1,201 to 1,208 of 1208

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

I knew that getting a scratch on my SNK803's mineral crystal (as seen here) was inevitable. Now that it's happened, since it's one of my faves, I'm considering getting one pimped up with sapphire...
    I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f***ing hatreds. GC

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I knew that getting a scratch on my SNK803's mineral crystal (as seen here) was inevitable. Now that it's happened, since it's one of my faves, I'm considering getting one pimped up with sapphire...
    why not just diamond paste it out

venus, passion's rockets ,sets afire gentle hearts that music doth inspire,
    through the joys of dance and last play
    leading them to love the sweetest way.

https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    Blanchy Talks Watches

^^^
    I know you paste out acrylic, but mineral?
    Anyhoo, not really my ways -- I'd most likely ruin it is one thing, and two, the next scratch would come again sooner or later.

^^^
    Anyhoo, not really my ways -- I'd most likely ruin it is one thing, and two, the next scratch would come again sooner or later.
    yeah more work then polywatching a plastic crystal .

but basically you start of with a grit and you smooth out the scratch then you use probably two or three different diamond past to then repolish it say like a 2.5 one then a 0.5 their about five to seven in a set or so

Diamond Polishing Paste - Cousins

Cousins diamond compounds are ideally suited to most polishing operations where a high precision finish is required.

• Easily remove scratches or marks on glass, stone, ceramics or hard metals
    • Can give a high mirror finish on a rough looking item in no time
    • Ready to use paste
    • Supplied in 5 gram syringes
    • Multiple micron sizes available
    • Manufactured using only the finest raw materials, ethically sourced
    • Made in France

Finishes:

• 0.25 - 3 micron for final polishing
    • 6 - 14 micron for lapping and pre-polishing
    • 25 - 90 micron for rapid material removal

Conversion:

• 0.25 micron = 100,000 Grit = 0 to 0.5 mesh
    • 1 micron = 14,000 Grit = 0 to 2 mesh
    • 3 micron = 8000 Grit = 2 to 4 mesh
    • 6 micron = 3300 Grit = 5 to 8 mesh
    • 8 micron = 2300 Grit = 2 to 4 mesh
    • 14 micron = 1400 Grit = 8 to 20 mesh
    • 25 micron = 800 Grit = 20 to 30 mesh
    • 45 micron = 325 Girt = 40 to 50 mesh
    • 90 micron = 225 Grit = 80 to 100 mesh
    • 100 micron = TBA

Tips:

• Most polishing done with diamond paste starts with coarser grits, gradually working your way to the finer pastes
    • If the piece is already of a reasonable finish, then you can use the finer grits straight away
    • Paste can be applied using a felt bob or for finer work a piece of pegwood
    • The finer grades of paste will absorb into wool, felt or material so be sure to apply these with wood, leather or plastic
    • Finer grits can be used to refine/polish jewels & watch glasses

venus, passion's rockets ,sets afire gentle hearts that music doth inspire,
    through the joys of dance and last play
    leading them to love the sweetest way.

https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    Blanchy Talks Watches

5. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    ^^^
    It can be done, I've used very fine wet and dry , 800 grit and up, then finished it off with the diamond paste. You can use a small disk on a Dremel tool to speed the process up but you have to be careful to keep cooling the glass with water as it will shatter if it gets too hot. The other solution that comes to mind is, being a Seiko a) a replacement crystal will be readily available and b) there's more than likely an after-market sapphire crystal available, resulting in a more permanent solution. You just need a tame watchmaker somewhere nearby to remove and replace the crystal for you.

7. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    ^^^
    Thanks. My point (which I didn't make properly, admittedly) was that ordering a modded SNK would be the least of a hassle. What I'm really debating on with myself is whether mineral (and consequently, scratches) is part of its charm and I should keep enjoying the specimen I have or get an ugraded one on top of it because it 'deserves' sapphire. :-)

Or just upgrade the one you have. I bought a domed sapphire for my Turtle from Uncle Seiko, and had it flipped by local watchmaker.

Turned out great.

I should keep enjoying the specimen I have or get an ugraded one on top of it because it 'deserves' sapphire. :-)

Sent from Maxwell Smartís shoe.

10. Likes rodia77, happyscrappyheropup, hayday liked this post
    ^^^
    Thanks. My point (which I didn't make properly, admittedly) was that ordering a modded SNK would be the least of a hassle. What I'm really debating on with myself is whether mineral (and consequently, scratches) is part of its charm and I should keep enjoying the specimen I have or get an ugraded one on top of it because it 'deserves' sapphire. :-)
    My thoughts on this , for what they're worth. If you can bear the scratches and find them to be "part of the charm", you don't have a problem. However, if like me you photograph your watches to post and, find scratches that give you that sinking feeling, then you may wish to rectify the problem and, in your case, if you really like that particular watch, you may want to seek a sapphire solution. For some reason I find it a lot easier to abide a mildly scratched case than even the smallest scratch on a crystal but, that's me.It's crazy you know, I have lots of vintage watches with scratched crystals that can't be replaced and, I'm talking about scratches I can't see when I'm wearing them but , I know they're there , I most probably need therapy.
    Last edited by Tim.; Aug 7, 2022 at 08:49 AM.

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post