Likes Likes:  921
Page 107 of 125 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1248

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

BM8180 considerations contd.

So I popped over to Argos to try it on and see how it fits.

Name:  20190824_145933_r.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  51.9 KB

It's on the smaller side but still acceptable, just remember that this perspective makes it look larger.

I wore my smallest-wearing watch for comparison (this ape haz brainzzz! ) and here's how they look side by side:

Name:  20190824_150002_r.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  20190824_150012_r.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  55.1 KB

By specs, the Citizen is smaller by 1mm, by eye it looks larger, no?

Also, can't underestimate the power of small, because this ML is probably my most comfy watch to wear, so there we go.

But, because we don't like things to be to simple, I started looking around for a 'fieldish' watch that could be a worthy contestant against the Citizen. It can't be just a field watch, it has to have a twist or quirk that sets it apart, be a variation on a field watch. I'm quite set on no internal 13-24 numerals.

So far I've looked closer at Hemels (again), but I don't want that bead-blast and I'm not that sure if the high-polish is worth chasing, and also this:

Name:  partitio_redsecond_award_2019_massivecaseback-stowa-2600.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  71.8 KB

I actually looked at the white version before, for the 'champagne' hunt, and figured that legibility wasn't its strongest point. The black one is 37mm, so smaller than my ML, and judging by the shape I'm pretty sure it's going to wear small as well. The question is if too small. They also have a limited edition in grey that looks interesting.

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Those Partitios (grey and black) are really nice.
    I’ve admired the white dial before, but I like the ‘calm take on a field watch’ of these: not swaggeringly huge or ridiculously military

My only caveat would be the profile:

I guess it depends on just how thick it is

Closest I’ve come to this style was my Zaria, which I’m not sure they still make
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

4. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    The Partitio is a lovely thing, and glory, glory, it’s a hand-wind. I saw the original model when visiting Stowa some years ago.

Name:  6D2CFC86-8CE4-42A9-ABA7-7B64E4623A62.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  71.5 KB

It's my kind of watch, and I’ve been very close to buying one. When I saw the two models together, it was the white I preferred for its subtlety. There’s more contrast between hands and dial than is apparent in most photos. I’m not sure which one I would choose if buying today, and it might almost depend on my mood.

Why haven’t I bought one, when it’s close to ideal for my taste? The tail-less seconds hand. I want to not care about it, even welcome it as a quirk, but... it’s always but.

Having said that, at €770 I’m now tempted all over again.

6. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    I'm also a fan of the Partitio. I think I could get used to the tail-less seconds hand, but I don't like the 18mm lug width.

8. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Ach - the hand-wind version is €920 because it comes with a sapphire case back.

Deal off.

Just realised how much I miss winding my nomos.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Just realised how much I miss winding my nomos.

Yup. Get out of bed, pick up watch, wind on the way to the bathroom. Day begins.

12. Likes geoffbot liked this post

The indecisive watch buyers' thread

Confession time: I’ve *never* got on with autos
    I just don’t feel connected to them in the same way as with manual wind, with that daily morning ritual of getting your watch ready for the day
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    My only caveat would be the profile:
    I thought it might be the time to revisit Xetum, but I had a look and nah.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    When I saw the two models together, it was the white I preferred for its subtlety. There’s more contrast between hands and dial than is apparent in most photos.
    There are a few vids on YT and I still don't find it satisfying.

The tail-less seconds hand. I want to not care about it, even welcome it as a quirk
    Which I did.

Having said that, at €770 I’m now tempted all over again.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Ach - the hand-wind version is €920 because it comes with a sapphire case back.

Deal off.
    This is funny, the WAW review from 4 years ago quotes ~590 euros for the handwound model. When I checked the website earlier on, I only looked at the ones with the red seconds hand, where no 2801 option is listed, so I sent an inquiry. I expected the price to be lower.

This price increase by ~300 euros (30%) is suspicious. Combine it with the Rolex-like fanboy base I observed at the other place, and I'm much less enthusiastic about the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Combine it with the Rolex-like fanboy base I observed at the other place, and I'm much less enthusiastic about the watch.

I haven’t visited the Stowa forum at WUS for years, but I remember the contributors virtually ignoring the Partitio, seemingly because it came from Stowa’s mainstream past - neither military or Bauhaus. Stowa treated it a little differently too, not offering it on their website

16. Likes rodia77 liked this post