Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: If only I'd known about the birds

  1. #1

    If only I'd known about the birds

    In Cuba, I'd have brought a real camera and at the very least a monopod. I fully expected to see brown pelicans, egrets and flamingoes, which I did, and frigate brids, which I was astonished not to see. I was not expecting turkey vultures, black hawjks, broad winged hawks, osprey, cormorants and herons. We had turkey vultures and black hawks hovering a treetop level every day. All I brought with me was my waterproof Olympus point and shoot.
















    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Feb 17, 2015 at 05:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Great pictures regardless of what camera was used.

  3. Likes Bwana, Henry Krinkle liked this post
  4. #3
    Moderator gnuyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,014
    What?? I'd never go anywhere cool without a proper camera.

    Looks like a treasure trove of photographic opportunity awaits your next trip there.

  5. #4
    Wonderful images. Thanks for sharing, Henry.

  6. Likes JAGtime, Henry Krinkle liked this post
  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    What?? I'd never go anywhere cool without a proper camera. .
    I must be tired ... that or the pitch black got the better of me..... that or I'm just plain stoopid.

    Just been out specially, a couple of miles up the road to take some starry sky shots (nice night for it here) and couldn't work out why I couldn't adjust the aperture in manual mode? - I was using the right control ?.....
    After 15 minutes I gave up and drove back ....
    Then I realised ......... I had a manual lens on !!

  8. Likes popoki nui, Henry Krinkle liked this post
  9. #6
    Moderator gnuyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I must be tired ... that or the pitch black got the better of me..... that or I'm just plain stoopid.

    Just been out specially, a couple of miles up the road to take some starry sky shots (nice night for it here) and couldn't work out why I couldn't adjust the aperture in manual mode? - I was using the right control ?.....
    After 15 minutes I gave up and drove back ....
    Then I realised ......... I had a manual lens on !!
    So the manual lens had no way to change aperture? I don't understand.

  10. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    So the manual lens had no way to change aperture? I don't understand.

    No, I was trying to adjust aperture with the camera body control dial, works fine when it's got the right lens on
    Remember it was pitch black .. must take torch next time lol.

  11. Likes gnuyork, popoki nui liked this post
  12. #8
    Member CamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    1,933
    Great pictures anyway but I hate seeing a great photo opportunity and not having my heavy artillery with me.
    Regards Cam

    Watches
    Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

  13. Likes Bwana, Henry Krinkle liked this post
  14. #9
    b& m8 CanadianStraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    between the lugs
    Posts
    1,468
    Been to Cuba many times, always see lots of different birds. It's a great place to birdwatch.

    Those are some great pics.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

  15. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
  16. #10
    Moderator gnuyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    No, I was trying to adjust aperture with the camera body control dial, works fine when it's got the right lens on
    Remember it was pitch black .. must take torch next time lol.
    Does your manual lens not have external aperture controls?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us